Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Folded cascode OTA - need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheenu2002

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have tried to design a folded cascode. The schematic and AC response are attached with this mail. I have 2 questions:

1. The PhaseMargin is very poor. Can you help me to understand how to
improve PM . Is it bcoz I havnt connected load cap (Cl)?
2. I am able to easily bias the transistors if I use a pmos current mirror load.
But if I use a current source load, then either qp31,29 or qn14,12 goes into
linear region. I am not able to get how to bias the folded cascode with the
current source load. Is there any technique that I should follow. Can anyone
pls help me.

Hi.
Add capacitor at the output.
Make sure all transistors are properly bias.

I did not get what you mean by putting a current load at the output.
You are using the folded cascode for what purpose?

Hi,
I am not connecting a current ,oad at the output.
Like for an opamp, you can use a resistive load, current mirror load or a current source load right. So, in my circuit, I have used a cascode current mirror load. If I want to use a current source load, then I am not able to bias. Hope I made my question clear. Pls refer to the attached image.
[/

Hi,

Use a current mirror load.
If you used a current source pmos, you have to properly bias your 'biasn1-2 ' and 'biasp1-2' such that your cascode transistors does not go into linear region. Any mismatches will lead these transistor to linear region.

I suggest you use a current mirror load assuming you dont need a differential output.

yeah.. you are right. I coudnt bias the cascode transistors. Either the pmos or the nmos cascode goes into linear region. I want to use it for a BGR. Can I use this architecture to design a folded cascode with gain boosting? bcoz when I go for gain boosting, I cant use current mirror right? Do you have any reference on how to generate the bias voltages...

You can use this circuit as a reference for your design.
If you have some supply voltage constraints, you can make a wide swing folded cascode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back