Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

-Filter Design project- (((Help)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrical Engineering St

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone,
i need your help in this designing project...

*project preview:
An intelligence agency has intercepted a voice message from a foreign terrorist. Unfortunately, the message has some form of distortion that makes it unintelligible. The voice message was sent to your lab
for analysis

*the Details:
Answer all questions

a) Load the wave file associated with your number in the ee360 class. For example, if your number
is 34, load the file named ‘f34.wav’ using wavread and store it in a variable named x

b) What is the sampling rate Fs of the file you loaded (in Hz)? What is its total length (in sec)?

c) Listen to the sound contained in x. Can you understand the message? What form of distortion
prevents you from understanding the voice message?

d) Plot the first 100 samples of x[n].

e) Compute Xf the FFT of x using Nfft=16000 points. Define a new variable Xfm and let it be
equal to the magnitude of the first 8000 points of Xf. Plot Xfm and make sure that the x-axis
scale is such that it starts at 0 Hz and ends at Fs/2 Hz.

f) Again, plot the magnitude spectrum of x from 0 to 4kHz by using freqz(x,1,F,Fs) and
compare with (e).

g) Plot the spectrogram of x using spectrogram(y2,512,250,512,Fs)and comment on it
to indicate where is the signal and where is the interference.

h) Using the plots (e,f,g), can you identify the cause of the problem? What is it? At which
frequencies is it? What type of filter/filters is needed to remove it, LPF, HPF, or Single Notch?

i) Use fdatool to design an appropriate filter to remove the distortion. Keep the units at ‘Hz’

j) Specify all the parameters that you have chosen to design the filter (e.g., fs, fc, fnotch,
Bandwidth, … etc). Note that every type of filter has different parameters, so you must specify
the type of filter that you chose and all its parameters.

k) Click the “Design Filter” Button. From the “File” menu click “generate m file” and choose a
name such as “Filter1.m”. Repeat if you have more than one filter.

l) The filter parameters can be easily loaded into your program by writing: h1=Filter1

m) What are the coefficients of this filter? What is the filter’s structure? (Direct form I , II , …. etc ?)

n) Plot the frequency response of the filter/filters using: freqz(h1)

o) Use h1 to filter x using: y= filter(h1,x). If you have more than one filter then you need
to filter the output again using the other filters.

p) Plot the spectrogram of the final clean output and comment on it to indicate where is the signal
and where is the interference.

q) Listen to y. Can you understand the voice message now? What is the message?

if you can help please write to me what is in ur mind about this project, explaination,

How about you try doing your own homework?

RBB said:
How about you try doing your own homework?

first of all,
it's not a homework !!! it's a project :idea:
second thing,
i didn't ask anyone to do it for me !!! I am saying who has anything that might help me about it, thoughts, explanation :idea:

thanks anyway for seeing it

What kind of project is it? it more looks like coursework. Just try to understand what each part is asking ya to do. and google whenever you don't understand something. There are alot of sources out there.

rfa86 said:
What kind of project is it? it more looks like coursework. Just try to understand what each part is asking ya to do. and google whenever you don't understand something. There are alot of sources out there.

thanks a lot man for your advice,

ya i understood some parts but i've never worked on voice clips as wave-read and i'm confused,
I have the sound clip it has a beep sound and it's only 1 second.
if it's a MATLAB work, is it an easy way to do it or is there another way to remove the distortion and to take the waveforms,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back