Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reduce resource utilization - aes fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepamj

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i hav vhdl code for aes encryption/decryption which runs fine during behavioral simulation. most parts of the algorithm are implemented using look up tables.

the synthesis went on running................... after a day's wait it got synthesised, but slice LUTs were overutilized.

similar to software, in hardware is there any means to free up and reuse some latches, once its initial function is done ?

pl anybody reply

Hi deepamj,

First try to map your LUTs (AES SBOXes) to the FPGA RAMs it will reduce logic. If it will not help you can always optimize AES core.
You can design 10, 20, 40 ... clock cycle core depends on your performance.

Bests,
Tiksan
http://syswip.com

helo tiksan

thank you for the reply.

i'm newbie in fpga. can u elaborate what's meant by "mapping LUTs to RAMs" and 10,20,40....clk cycle core.
.it will be helpful

hopes for a reply

hats off to you tiksan for your blog and sharing verification ips

I'm really happy if someone found my blog useful :D
Thank you very much :!:

Hi deepamj,

This is AES VHDL core form opencores.org. It can be useful for you.
I didn't try it so can not tell anything about this design.

Best Regards,
Tiksan

Help in Behavioral simulation

deepamj said:
i hav vhdl code for aes encryption/decryption which runs fine during behavioral simulation. most parts of the algorithm are implemented using look up tables.

the synthesis went on running................... after a day's wait it got synthesised, but slice LUTs were overutilized.

similar to software, in hardware is there any means to free up and reuse some latches, once its initial function is done ?

pl anybody reply

Hi!
i have implemented AES encrytption and decryption using verilog. I have simulated the result of encryption module, the problem that i am facing is in the simulation of Decryption module.How can i get the correct result?
Thanks

Syswip said:
Hi deepamj,

First try to map your LUTs (AES SBOXes) to the FPGA RAMs it will reduce logic. If it will not help you can always optimize AES core.
You can design 10, 20, 40 ... clock cycle core depends on your performance.

Bests,
Tiksan
http://syswip.com

I'm trying to find a way to map my LUTs to RAM, but still I couldn't ..
Tareq suggested to do so by inferring BRAM or DRAM .. but this is not a solution, because my logic is not initially a RAM .. I just want to MAP my logic to unused RAM blocks ..
So, any help ? .. do u know how this can be done Syswip ?

Are you talking about large LUTs, as utilized in the said AES core, or regular logic elements that are implemented as small 4 or 6-input LUTs in FPGA? The latter can't be effectively mapped to internal RAM, I fear.

FvM said:
Are you talking about large LUTs, as utilized in the said AES core, or regular logic elements that are implemented as small 4 or 6-input LUTs in FPGA? The latter can't be effectively mapped to internal RAM, I fear.

I am talking about the LUTs in the following Synplify utilization report:

Mapping to part: xc3sd1800afg676-4
Cell usage:
DSP48A 33 uses
FDC 2615 uses
FDCE 457 uses
FDE 2 uses
FDP 1 use
FDPE 2 uses
GND 14 uses
MUXCY 22 uses
MUXCY_L 1140 uses
MUXF5 4336 uses
MUXF6 603 uses
MUXF7 2 uses
VCC 13 uses
XORCY 997 uses
rcip_arctan_parallel 1 use
rcip_vr_parallel 7 uses
LUT1 156 uses
LUT2 3016 uses
LUT3 14157 uses
LUT4 14004 uses

SRL primitives:
SRLC16E 2 uses
SRL16E 1 use

I/O Register bits: 0
Register bits not including I/Os: 3077 (9%)

DSP48s: 33 of 84 (39%)
Total load per clock:
clk_8mhz: 3090

Mapping Summary:
Total LUTs: 31336 (94%)

Status
Not open for further replies.