Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1200 watts 8 - channels disco lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

gres

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

Is based on description from one of the Polish magazine which was based on some Bulgarian magazine. My project have better flash light dynamics. For each channel we have two bulbs. One of them start to light with lower signal level, second with higher signal level. I add so-called "channel of silence" - when there is no signal, it flash all the time, when music is playing it flash with bass or middle tone channel.
This project is from 1990 year so some elements could be much better right now.
To power ( only electronics without bulbs) we need transformer with very low watts, with symmetric winding and voltage match that voltage is +-15V fairly mass. Stabilizers 7815 and 7915 should be installed, I put only condensers that can filter voltage. Silence channel is connect to bass channel. When bass channel bulbs flash on, bulbs silence channel flash down. Instead of thyristors I used triacs and extensor.
I believe that bulbs that are powered by DC voltage, can flash more smoothly. Instead of transformer that is placed at input we can use optiotracs. At input we have resistors R1 and R2, that must be match to amplifier power. The same with resistors in LED system.
Casing for device have dimensions 80x40x25 cm. Inside there is board with bulbs frame. Holes for bulbs have 130mm. All casing must have ventilating holes.
Bulbs made by Tungsram company. It's a all in one device: bulbs, mirror that reflect light, lens with two angles shed lights and dye filters. Bulbs are about 20 years old:) After many years it still work very good.

After made all construction I placed there power regulator. That dimmer we can turn on by cam placed on axle of potentiometer.

Possible upgrades:
As I said - you can use 7815 and 7915stabilizers and throw out separating transformer at input and placed there optiotracs ( safer).
Silence channel.
Low voltage bulbs for example 12V, or LED diodes with high bright. If you want use LED you would install transistors instead triacs and optiotracs.
Disco lights are plugged to amplifier, you may build microphone amplifier that could catch sound. But this could make lower flash dynamics.
Also it's better to get signal from headphones slot then from clamps of loudspeakers column.
More info you can find here: https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic1478177.html

Status
Not open for further replies.