Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions on the transmission of 16QAM modulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kringo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

i have a problem with 16QAM transmission policy :)
I think my problem is that I don´t understand correctly the transmission of 16QAM. I am currently working on a 16QAM transmission in Matlab and have made nearly everything on the Transmitter side.
So I generated a bit stream, seperated in I and Q stream and assigned amplitudes. Afterwards I convoluted this stream with a root raised cosine filter and multiplied this signal with a cosine / sine and added it like this:

x_b = xI*cos(2*pi*f*T)+j*xQ*sin(2*pi*f*T)
whereas:
xb = Basebandsignal
xI = Inphase component
xQ = Quadrature component

So my question now is: How can I modulate this basebandsignal on a carrier frequency so I can transmit it over a speaker or on even higher frequencies in optical fibers? I cannot transmit a complex valued signal ...

Thanks for your help

Re: 16QAM modulation

Hi,
to transmit your signal you have to multiply it by:

exp(j*2*pi*fc*t) where fc is the carrier frequency

then take the real part and transmit it. To recover Real and Imag parts at the receiver side, just multiply the incoming signal by:

exp(-j*2*pi*fc*t)

Thanks for your help! hmm but normally the inphase component is multiplied with a cosine and the Quadrature comp. with a sine and then added up ... so you say I should add I and Q comp. up and multiply it with exp(2*pi*fc*t)? (Transmitter side)

Sorry, but probably I didn't understand your question. If what you indicated with "f" is the carrier frequency you want to send on-air then you can simply forward to the antenna the signal:

s(t) = xI*cos(2*pi*f*t) - xQ*sin(2*pi*f*t)

where xI and xQ are the pulse-shaped baseband signals.
In the previous answer I was referring to an up (or down) conversion.

Yes exactly! I have the same! So my last question is:
On the Receiver side I have only to multiply the received signal with exp(-2*pi*fc*t) and split it up into imaginary and real part to get Q btw. I stream?

No. You just have to multiply again by cos(2*pi*f*t) and -sin(2*pi*f*t) to recover real and imaginary parts. After multiplication you must apply a lowpass filter in order to remove the 2*f frequency modulation products.

hmm ok thats the same as multiplying with exp(2*pi*fc*t) and then splittin up into real and imaginary part ...

ok i transmitted xI*cos(2*pi*fc*t)-xQ*sin(2*pi*fc*t)

so at the receiver I get for example for the I-Component:
xI*cos(2*pi*fc*t)^2-xQ*sin(2*pi*fc*t)*cos(2*pi*fc*t)
where the last part sin(...)*cos(....) is hopefully reduced respectively surpressed by the LPF (3rd order I want to implement)

But that looks not really like the signal I transmitted ...
Thanks again

calling x = 2*pi*f*T, applying simple trigonometry you will have:

I line
XI*cos(x)^2 = XI*1/2*[1+cos(2*x)]
XQ*sin(x)*cos(x) = XQ*1/2*sin(2*x)

Q line
XI*sin(x)*cos(x) = XI*1/2*sin(2*x)
XQ*sin(x)^2 = XQ*1/2*[1-cos(2*x)]

so by means of a low pass filter you can easily remove the "2*x" frequency components, restoring the original signal (divided by 2)

kringo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

ahh thanks now i get it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.