Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relay selection advices needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbkv_tom

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Relay selection

I need to provide a NC relay on a 24VAC line which goes to a contactor coil.The max current through the line is 2A. The inrush current is aroung 10-15A. Do i need to use a relay that has contact that can carry greater than 15A or the max continous current of 2A..
Please provide your suggestion

Thanks

Relay selection

Hi,
Generally in a relay, the inrush current is termed as switching current and you can look for both the parameters in the datasheet. But look for higher current than the actual operating current.

Re: Relay selection

bbkv_tom said:
I need to provide a NC relay on a 24VAC line which goes to a contactor coil.The max current through the line is 2A. The inrush current is aroung 10-15A. Do i need to use a relay that has contact that can carry greater than 15A or the max continous current of 2A..Please provide your suggestion
Thanks
Does your contactor relay really draw 2A? :idea: The inrush current may be handled by the contactor...so why bother about that part? Cheers

Probably should get a safety factor on 2A, but most datasheets have a max repetitive surge current or something along those lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back