Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High resolution skin temperature monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlGeorge

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all. I am designing a PIC or AVR with temperature sensor: eg Linear Active Thermistor LM35 and Microchip mcp9700. Unfortunately, they do not have the resolution I need:
Range 33c-40c (less than 7degC range)
Accuracy better than .01C
Response seconds
Distance skin contact, or intimate to skin

Both chips above only do 10mv/1c. Sure they can be boosted by another analog device, but specs demand minimal parts.
The 8-bit PIC comparator is likely not as suitable as the 10-bit AVR device.

I have never designed temperature sensors, and all designs seem to cater for wider temperature ranges.
Which leads me to the main question - given the above parameters, is there an IR receiver that does not need a sender, with better resolution than aforementioned?

From what Ive been able to ascertain Thermistors provide the best accuracy. Some items here may be suitable.
https://www.amwei.com/news.asp?news_id=79
These devices are providing a 1k2 swing in the 35-40degC range/240?/deg/>1% accuracy.

However, I am still most interested in Infrared, as the desired temperature is underneath the skin.
Any suggestions please?
Alistair George

AlGeorge

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
BTW said:
Feasibility study for commercial. Hope also to find a good supply of I/R detectors at a price <$1/10,000 pcs. MLX90614ESF is perfect but price is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back