Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi voltage and multi power mode design partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

oak_tree

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Our next chip is going to be in 65 nm. That's a big jump from 180 nm. I'm not too familar with the flow, and I'll appreciate any input.

My first question is in the RTL level. I know that UPF/CPF is used to assign a voltage and power mode to each module. What if an exixting module contains some logic that is in the 'always-on' domain and other parts that are going to be off (PSO). I assume that I need to create 2 different modules (i.e., rewriting the RTL) so I can assign a power mode to each portion. Do I have to rewrite the RTL and create 2 modules or is there an easier way (like in VHDL, using 'block' statement within the code. The synthesis creates a different module for the block)?

oak_tree said:
Our next chip is going to be in 65 nm. That's a big jump from 180 nm. I'm not too familar with the flow, and I'll appreciate any input.

My first question is in the RTL level. I know that UPF/CPF is used to assign a voltage and power mode to each module. What if an exixting module contains some logic that is in the 'always-on' domain and other parts that are going to be off (PSO). I assume that I need to create 2 different modules (i.e., rewriting the RTL) so I can assign a power mode to each portion. Do I have to rewrite the RTL and create 2 modules or is there an easier way (like in VHDL, using 'block' statement within the code. The synthesis creates a different module for the block)?

And I have a question : Do you want to create two seperated power domain, and there is a module named "A", in one power domain, and another module named "B" which is the same as module A, in the other domain? If the description is correct, I think you need not to rewrite the RTL code.

Thanks for the answer.

What I meant is that I have currently one module ('A'). Let's say that I have a state machine that I'd like to put on 'always-on' power domain, and I'd like to shut off the power to the rest of the logic in that module. Do I have to create a new module ('B'. Module B is instantiated in module 'A') for the FSM, and leave the rest of the logic in module 'A' or there is an easier way to separate the logic in module 'A'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back