Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CST transient solver = FDTD????

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron412

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I've been reading about FIT (cst's simulation method) and it seems to me that the transient solver is pretty much FDTD except for the fact that it solves Maxwell equations in integral form instead of in differential form...... Am I right?? can anyone share some knowledge about this.....??

Hi Aaron,

As far as I know the original FIT in time domain and FDTD are pretty much similar.

The advantage of FIT compared to FDTD is, that FIT used some global matrixes which describe the system. This makes it easier to include some additional feature like the “PBA” and the “thin sheet technique” in the code.
If you switch off all these additional features in CST you would end up with a “normal” (but very user-friendly ) FDTD code.
Same memory requirement, same time step criteria …..

Best regards,

F.

good explaination

Useless.
Warning!

These are documents of FIT:
1. T. Weiland, A Discretization Method for the Solution of Maxwell`s Equations for Six-Component Fields. Electronics and Communication (AEÜ), vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 116-120, 1977
2. U. van Rienen and T. Weiland, Triangular discretization method for the evaluation of RF-Fields in cylindrically symmetric cavities, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. MAG-21, no. 6, pp.2317-2320, 1985.
3. T. Weiland, Time domain electromagnetic Field computation with Finite Difference Methods, International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, vol.9, pp. 259-319, 1996
4. R. Schuhmann, M. Clemens, P. Thoma, T. Weiland, Frequency and Time Domain Computations of S-Parameters Using the Finite Integration Technique, Proc. of the 12th Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES Conference), Monterey, 1996, pp. 1295-1302
5. M. Clemens, R. Schuhmann, T. Weiland, Algebraic Properties and Conservation Laws in the Discrete Electromagnetism, FREQUENZ, Band 53 (1999) , Ausg. 11-12, S. 219 - 225
6. R. Schuhmann and T. Weiland, Conservation of discrete energy and related laws in the Fnite Integration Technique, submitted to the Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Special volume on "Geometrical Methods in Computational Electromagnetics" of the PIER monograph series, 2000

You can look for them!Maybe you will understand!

Status
Not open for further replies.