Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dc equivalent of 240v rms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee01akk

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
240v rms

Does anyone know how to find the dc equivalent voltage of 240V rms?
I need to know the required dc input voltage for an inverter to produce an ac output of 240V rms.
Thanks.

dc equivalent of ac

dc input of an inverter depends on the transformer inside :?
you can have 12Vdc input for 240Vac output :lol:
if the MOSETS or IGBTS are after the transformer you need minimum 240*1.414 + losses

dc equivalent

So 240*sqrt(2) is the dc equivalent. Isn't this the peak value of the ac as well?

ac dc equivalence

yes, if its sinusoid :)

240v ac rms

if u r using this thing for UPS or as replacement of AC 240 then keep in mind that output of inverter is not a sin wave, usually a square or triangular wave. Desigining a pure sin wave with output power of about 300 watts is quit difficult. a simple solution would be to design it for 460-480 volts and then user a stepdown transformer of (2:1) to conver it to required 240 volts. Or design for 260 volt and user a buffer transformer (1:1). this is chagne any squar or triangular wave to almost sin wave.

buffer transformer

RMS is the equivalent DC value for an AC signal.
i.e. A sinusiodal voltage with amplitude 339.41V has an RMS value of 240V
So your answer is 240V.

Briefly how it the RMS of a signal is found is:
1. Signal is squared (so that average is not zero)
2. Squared signal is averaged
3. Squared averaged signal is square rooted, in order to get the non zero "average" (for a non biased ac signal, the average in the true sense of the word is zero), or DC equivalent, hence RMS (Root Mean Square).

For a sinusoid, the relation between the amplitude and RMS is sqrt2 i.e. RMS = Vpeak / 1.4142

Look for RMS definitions on the net for a more detailed explanation.

is 240v rms the same as 240v dc

240 v

HH
NeuralC

a cuanto equivalen 240 rms en watts

Hi again ee01akk.
Sorry, my last reply only intends answers your first question. As for the second question, it really depends on your design :wink: as also stated by tgq
Cool man, ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back