Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alkaline batteries with tep-up/down regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

estratos

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Alkaline batteries

Hi,

I have a circuit powered from a 6V alkaline battery and the working voltage of my circuit is 3.3V. I initially designed the circuit to be powered through a LDO regulator but a friend told me that a stepup-stepdown regulator would let me sink current from the battery, when the battery voltage drops below 4 V (My LDO won't work below 3.8 V I think). It seems that alkaline batteries provide a good portion of their charge under the nominal voltage.

Do you think if using a step-up/down regulator is worth the investment given the nature of alkaline batteries? Could anyone confirm that alkaline batteries need to be operated at lower voltages in order to take profit of their whole charge?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.