Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

for those using cst, need your opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

viliami

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

i definitely need your opinion. im an engineering student and i was designing a uwb antenna as my final year project. i have attached screencopy of my simulated results. its the gain that im worried about whether if ok for a uwb antenna? i have built this antenna but there's no way to test it in our lab because our frequency generator and our network analyzer can only go up to 5GHz.

regards
vili.

Hey, you didn't show anything about the antenna!
No antenna shape.. nothing except the results..

Anyhow, I said this because the radiation pattern is quite like a monopole one!
So i wanted to see your design and how did it lead to such a pattern..?

Also, It depends on your application you're trying to fabricate the antenna for.

Anyhow, it's a 7-14GHz antenna which doesn't fully fulfill the standard American range from 3.1-10.6GHz.

Finally, even though the band isn't too wide as it should be, the return loss is quite suspiciously looking.. it's too smooth with no fall downs (bellies).. It's near to a too perfect thing for this range exactly. If it becomes like this to satisfy the full range, it'll be a somehow magical work, especially if the spectrum analyzer's result was the same or nearly the same..

Actually you don't have any other choice than having a wild spectrum analyzer to show you the actual result. Try to see some other universities in your area, they may have been provided with such instruments.

Good Luck with your project.. I think you're finishing it by now, because my post is about 1 month late!

hi vilami,
it will be better if u upload the cst model. then i can check it and let u know if something is wrong.

regards
Praful

hi guys

sorry its been a while. i was waiting to see if i'd pass that paper and i did. lol. here's a copy of my final report.

regards
viliami

hello villiami,

Interesting report. The results seems good (S11 is however unusually smooth). You can simulate the same design with frequency domain solver also and both should give same results.

Regarding radiation patterns, feeding pin and shorting pins seems to contribute in radiation patterns with main antenna. Well you passed the paper so now you can experiment with the results for leisure :)

Best of luck

Regards
Praful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back