Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

P-Channel MOSFET totem-pole driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

z9u2k

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey,

I'm designing a small constant-current SMPS at the range of 400-500kHz, with input voltage of 5V for a single cell NiMH battery charger (output no more than 2A).

This is an educational purpose project - so I want to use discreet components. The PWM controller is a comparator, capable of sourcie/sink current of 20mA max (LM339).

As a switching (P-Channel) MOSFET, I'm using IRF4905 since at -Vgs = 5V and -Vds = 5V it is out of the linear zone.

Thing is, at -Vgs = 5V, Qg is about 80nC - which means that if I want my MOSFET switching time to be at most 5% of the cycle, I need to source and sink at least 800mA to/from the gate [80nC / (0.05/500kHz)], which the LM339 cannot supply.

I was thinking about using a BJT totem-pole as a gate driver (2N2222 + BC327), but I'm concerned that since my 5V supply is close to the MOSFET's threshold voltage, which is about -4V, the 0.7V drop across these transistors will take me under the threshold. In addition, the datasheet doesn't have a curve for V < -4.5V so I cannot determent the behavior in this range.

I'm looking for a suggestion regarding the gate driver.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.