Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is there a way to fix a broken pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Always_Confused_Sudent

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
fix broken pin ic

I broke a pin of my 16f84 while removing it from the socket, anyone got an idea if its possiple to fix that :cry:

That's an easy one .. It happens to me all the time ... What i do is this
i get a sharp knife and carv away plastic around the broken pin .In order to get more support area .. Then i use good quality solder and attach a pin or a piece of good copper wire ..Trying to get a good solder point with the less amount of solder and HEAT!

What I already did but cost the price of good IC socket (tulip type).
Plug you IC in the socket, carve like eltonjhon explain the plastic and solder a wire from the broken pin to the place where the pin should be inserted and solder a few or all other pins and you have again a "solid" IC.

hc

Always_Confused_Sudent said:
I broke a pin of my 16f84 while removing it from the socket
next time, keep the F84 in a second 18pin socket :wink:
i use this tip when i cannot use ICSP while developing the software

:p i do it many times in R&D, scrap it as told by eltonjohn, then use a very fine guage of wire and loop it in the scraped area and solder it . it will form a Ball like in a ball grid array ic. then solder a 4148 pin to it and put some araldite.

Status
Not open for further replies.