Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make oblique planewave in FDTD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ys0521

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
plane wave fdtd

In order to generate normal incident planewave, we can easily implant it using TF/SF boundary condition or periodic boundary condition.

However, if I want to excite oblique incident planewave, it is not easy for me.
Is there any good reference or example for this?

how to make oblique

u can implement an oblique incident wave by multiplying the field you would use for a normal incident wave with a phase term.
the phase term is a function of position.
for example, lets assume you excite an incident wave in a 2D simulation by forcing the E field at y=y0: Ez(x,y0)=Ez(t).
this is a plane wave traveling in the y directions.
if you add a phase term such as Ez(x,y0)=Ez(t)*exp(j*β*x) you can now simulate an oblique incident wave which incident angle is a function of β.

john schneider+fdtd

In order to generate normal incident planewave, we can easily implant it using TF/SF boundary condition or periodic boundary condition.

However, if I want to excite oblique incident planewave, it is not easy for me.
Is there any good reference or example for this?

For the basics Taflove or even Kunz&Lubbers should be ok.

For more accurate methods check the relevant papers by J. Schneider (google for john Schneider FDTD) and the papers referenced there

u can implement an oblique incident wave by multiplying the field you would use for a normal incident wave with a phase term.
the phase term is a function of position.

This is the simplest method. If the results are accurate enough for you then I would use it.
The problem is that the analytical formula does not match the wave speed at different angles.
As a result you get lots of spurious reflections. How to reduce these is the topic of some of
the papers I mentioned above.

Another problem, also addressed in these papers is the case when you have material
interfaces crossing the TF/SF boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back