Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Ammeter with shunt help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

_gmd_

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
digital ammeter circuit

Following problem:
I have some digital ammeters with ICs and they require the shunt to be mounted in the ground line. Wont work in plus line. When I have the + voltage on the Analogue Input the ammeter will not work and blow something up.

How can I convert the +12V signal against ground to the 0V signal required with the shunt in the + line. An analogue meter will work no problem .. the voltage between the shunt points is 0-80mV. With the shunt in ground line it works no problem.

Anybody has a little circuit to convert the input signal ??

thanks
gmd

digital ammeter

Your ammeter cannot take high common-mode voltage levels and that is why it blows.

You could use a sense resistor in the positive rail to measure current, and use a differential amplifier to bring the voltage drop across that resistor to some useful levels. Or use an instrumentation amplifier. Use a voltmeter at the amplifier output.

I have an article that explains this. You can find it here:

https://masteringelectronicsdesign.com/the-differential-amplifier-common-mode-error-part-2/

The article explains the common-mode voltage error for precision applications. For your case, read the example with the power supply output current measurement.

_gmd_

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ammeter shunt

Spot on mate .. you get all the points I have :))
Ive done some research and came to that conclusion and tried to built a little circuit with a LM358 but so far have no decent result. The output is stuck to 0.7
I will read your article and hopefully I will get something working.
Thanks so much for answer
gmd

Status
Not open for further replies.