Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why star is used in WBAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachingupta

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am doing my project on network optimization of WBAN. I have found that all researchers have assumed star topology for the network. I couldn't understand why star is used even though it has the biggest disadvantage of single point failure?
What can be done in case the main hub fails in a star topology?
Kindly help me.
Regards
Sachin

wban network topology

Hi,
I also read several related papers and star topology do be used frequently as you said. Maybe, other kinds of network protocols are really unsuitable for BAN/BSN. Considering low energy consumption and portability, there is only one device (access point) in the BAN/BSN can communicate with the outside world. All of the sensors on body need to send data to the access point. Besides, usually, one sensor does not send data to other one. As a result, communication link is not needed between different end devices. Under this mode, other kinds of networks are unnecessary, such as ad hoc.
I am also interested in WBAN. We can discuss about it.
Regards
Hector

Re: Why star in WBAN?

Hi
In addition to it, even the addition/deletion of nodes are easy which is quite essential in BAN. The only major problem is if the main hub fails,what to do? I couldn't find many solutions for this problem. I thought of having a secondary backup hub which comes into play whenever the primary hub fails. However having a secondary hub doesn't solve my problem completely. what if the secondary hub itself fails? How many hubs one can keep as backup? Also another solution could be to make one of the sensors as the main controller. However this seems impractical because of the stringent energy requirements. What do you think can be done to solve this problem?
Regards
Sachin

Re: Why star in WBAN?

Hi,
I understood your problem, but I think its not bad to go for star topology.And I fully agree with you that it has the drawback also. So I can give you suggestion that you can use ring topology.
Thanks.

Why star in WBAN?

Hi
But in ring topology also, we would have one main hub connected in the ring to coordinate with the main centre. Assuming bidirectional ring, the farthest node from the ring would be diametrically opposite to the hub. Then if that node transmits data and keeping into account the excessive attenuation of the RF signals by the human body, i think that the signal would be severely attenuated even before reaching the hub. The conclusion that I have drawn thus far is that STAR IS THE BEST TOPOLOGY FOR BAN. However I am unable to find the solution to the single point of failure problem. Can u suggest something?
Regards
Sachin

Re: why star

m.boulmalf said:
Hi
Hi dear all
I just start working on WBAN. I bought three nodes WSN from Sun "Sun Spot sensor". My first question are they a good equipment to test a WBAN? my second
question: What is the appropiate Simulator for WBAN ?
please help
Regards
Boulmalf

Why star in WBAN?

Hi, boulmalf, could you be kind enough to tell me what type nodes of SUN have you bought?
And besides, do you have the pdf of your nodes?
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Hector

Status
Not open for further replies.