Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which transistor would best suit for 8.3 - 8.7 GHz X-Band LNA design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vedagarbhamsandeep

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could someone tell me which Transistor would best suit for 8.3 - 8.7 GHz ? and also a design approach to meet the requirements.
Gain: 45dB
Gain Stability: 0.5dB
Output Impedance 50 ohms
I/O VSWR: < 1.3
DC Power: 12V

Any related documents to obtain the same would be of great help. I would be using Ansoft Designer and CST. Please comment on the same.

How many stages of LNA would be required to obtain the target Gain ? and also what Bandpass Filter (my choice is hairpin filter as of now) will be best suited ?

low noise amplifier design

To get 45dB of gain at this frequency from one transistor is impossible. You need at least 3 stages.
Try GaAs FETs from AVAGO:

Hairpin Filter at this frequency and bandwidth should be fine.

lna design using ansoft designer

Try BFR949f

x-band

vedagarbhamsandeep said:
Could someone tell me which Transistor would best suit for 8.3 - 8.7 GHz ? and also a design approach to meet the requirements.
Gain: 45dB
Gain Stability: 0.5dB
Output Impedance 50 ohms
I/O VSWR: < 1.3
DC Power: 12V

Any related documents to obtain the same would be of great help. I would be using Ansoft Designer and CST. Please comment on the same.

How many stages of LNA would be required to obtain the target Gain ? and also what Bandpass Filter (my choice is hairpin filter as of now) will be best suited ?

To get so much gain at this frequency you need a multi stage amplifier. You mention that this is an LNA but there is no indication about the NF of the amplifier you need to construct. What is its use? A very low noise can be accomplished by the MGF4919G and the NE3210S01 as can be seen in the gk-electronics.gr website, but they are expensive.
I would say these are among the best transistors as far as concern NF in these frequencies.
Note: NF is defined almost totally by the first stage of your amplifier, i.e. the first transistor, so you probably only need 1 of these.
The rest can be higher noise ones without affecting the performance of the LNA too much. See here for a calculator: **broken link removed**

lna design in edaboard

hello everyone
i am a ug student and doing a project on low noise amp
i want the basic tutorial + design circuit for the same.

thanx

low noise amplifier x-band

An LNA is no different than a preamplifier. So any small signal amplifier/preamplifier tutorial will be fine for you. The only thing with LNAs is that the first stage needs to use a low noise active device (transistor), so you have to look for a low noise transistor/MMIC for the frequency you want.
And you need to define what low noise means to you. If 3db total NF can be defined as a low noise amplifier by your project supervisor, then you can just use an MMIC at lower microwaves. See www.gk-electronics.gr for short data and samples on some MMICs.
Noise figures of <1db are more difficult and expensive to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back