Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium Designer Internal Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxascent

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
plane designer

I have created some internal planes with split planes in them. When I create the gerbers and view them in a gerber viewer program the plane is not filled in. I just get the outlines that I set.

Thanks

Jon

altium negativ view

The plane layers in Altium Designer are negative layers. That means that objects which can be seen on those layers are voids in the copper. You aren't seeing "outlines", you're seeing the places where the copper is going to be removed.

Likewise with direct connections to the plane from thru-hole vias and pads. You won't see anything where they connect to the plane, because there is no copper to be removed. Only the pads and vias that pass thru the plane without connecting are going to show anti-pads.

Board fabricators know about negative planes. It's the normal way of showing a plane layer, and it keeps the Gerber files smaller and simpler than positive plane layers.

maxascent

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
altium plane negative

And if you want to view negative planes in gerber viewer you have to select negative view option than you can see internal planes as filled.

anti pad pcb altium

What I would like to do is create an odd shaped pullback from the edge so I guess I need to add some solid regions around the board edge. Also I want to have the layer numbers. So I need to create a solid region with the number in negative?

Thanks

Jon

altium plane

Yes if you want suppose 40 mil pull back than add a 40 mil copper in same internal plane, as on generating negative it will be no copper so you will have desired pull back.
For layer number you donot have to fill region as on creating negative it will show void and not the number you can leave it as it is.

maxascent

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back