Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Error amplifier also amplifies the switching frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remcoremcoremco

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
error amplifier

Hi,

I have a question about the error amplifier in a voltage mode controlled buck converter.

I designed a TYPE III erroramp with the correct transfer function to give me a stable loop in combination with the LC plant and the PWM modulator. According to the books, so to say. In simulation everything works fine, exept for one thing: the error amplifier also amplifies the switching frequency quite a lot. So its output is not a more or less DC-like voltage but -in my case- disturbed with a 1MHz signal of a few 100 mV.

The PWM modulator still works, but there is a lot of jittering.

I want to filter the 1MHz but that's not possible. If I do so, I get phase shifts and my overall loop is not stable anymore.

In this link you find a typical transfer of type 3 compensated error amp. You see that also here at 1MHz the erroramp has quite some gain.

**broken link removed**

What can I do to get rid of the 1MHz component on the output of the error amp?

Regards,
Remco[/img]

Added after 30 minutes:

Hi,

Here a picture to clarify my problem. The upper one is the ideal situation, the lower one is what I see in simulation.

The 1MHz component on the output cap. is amplified by the error amp. It's quite large and disturbed and because of it, the duty cycle is jittering. I need to filter is to get the situation in the first picture back. But filtering introduces phase shifts that compromises my loop stability of the complete DC DC system.

Status
Not open for further replies.