Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which oscilloscope to buy.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jit_singh_tara

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
buy oscilloscope

Friends i am thinking of buying an oscilloscope .... please suggest me with some idea ......
My requirement is:

1. embedded designing ,troubleshooting,
2. i2c spi waveform check.....
3.some analog waveform check....etc....

Please suggest me with the idea wether to buy oscilloscope like tektronix or to buy pc based oscilloscope ....suggest some model also...

which oscilloscope

Hi,
I work with both a standalone (Tek TDS224) and a PC-based (Cleversope CS328A) oscilloscope.
The standalone one is good for quick trouble-shooting, but in terms of features per unit price I'd choose PC-based any day.
Like you, I did a thorough research before purchasing mine and this is how i found the CS328A, which I strongly recommend (see it here https://www.cleverscope.com/products/).
Mine's got a signal generator, logic analyzer, a big memory and protocol analyzer (SPI, I2C, RS232 all customizable).
The PC software is not the best I've seen, but works nicely and it's continuosly updated with new features.
You can do much more with this scope than you could ever do with an entry-level standalone (same pirce level), so this is not just my subjective oppinion.

Arthur

which oscilloscope to buy

as you want to do some analog, nothing is better than an analog scope... but for digital signals nothing is better than a logic analyzer ...
so I would suggest
- an hameg analog scope (2 or 4x 100mhz) available often on ebay) or some equivalent analog tek scope
they can even also have a digital part (like hameg 1507 or tek 2430 2432 2440)
- a logic analyzer pc based like this one : https://www.pctestinstruments.com/index.htm

but this question is like a troll: you will get as many answers as there are eda members ... ;)

oscilloscope price

Hello!

I wouldn't recommend a PC based scope.
- It looks cheaper than a regular scope, but you have to take the PC into
account.
- If you are using a PC, and want to look at the signals while using the debugger,
then you need at least another screen, one for the socope, one for the
debugger. Therefore at least a more expensive graphic card and an extra screen.
- Even if you have 2 screens, the mouse will point to one application only,
so you cannot tune the scope while going step by step for example.
- A Graphical user inteface (GUI), no matter how good it is, will never replace
real buttons.

I bought a PC scope once. Bitscope, or something like this. The quality is not
up to the price. The cheapest one is about 500 USD. For almost the same price
you can have a brand new digital scope (a real one). Look .
I have seen these scopes on a trade fair. Of course, it's not like a Tektro, but
it's very good for the price.

The only case where a PC scope makes sense is when you go for technical
support out of your lab. But even in this case, you can use a real scope, it's
also light and easy to transport.
If you really want a PC scope and nothing else, the best I know is
which can be combined up to 6 channels with 3 devices using the same
synchro. Sorry, the page is in japanese.
The good thing about this one is that the sampling is at 5G Sample / s for
a frequency of 200 MHz.
So they don't brag about the frequency as bitscope does.

And on top of that, it looks like a real product, not like a do-it-yourself kit.

Dora.

jit_singh_tara said:
Friends i am thinking of buying an oscilloscope .... please suggest me with some idea ......
My requirement is:

1. embedded designing ,troubleshooting,
2. i2c spi waveform check.....
3.some analog waveform check....etc....

Please suggest me with the idea wether to buy oscilloscope like tektronix or to buy pc based oscilloscope ....suggest some model also...

I have put together a comparison table of digital oscilloscopes for hobbyists:
**broken link removed**

jit_singh_tara said:
You neglected to mention one very important point - how much money can you afford to spend? If you have unlimited funds, then buy the best top-of-the line multi-channel scope you can. Something like a Tek DSA8200. Buy yourself a fast car while your at it - they make life a lot more exciting.

However, if you have a limited budget consider a PC-based scope as Authur0 suggested. Most of these also act as a logic analyzer, and many will automatically decode and display protocols like synchronous serial, SPI and I2C. They can offer a lot of funtionality for little money.

Contrary to what doraemon claims there are decent PC-based scopes available for well under $200USD. I know you already have a PC, so why would you figure that into the cost. And I hope you're already running a dual-monitor system - if not spend your money on that first. And he says a GUI will never replace real buttons. Then I wonder why all of the high-end scopes are GUI-based and use touch-screens?

You really need to do some research and decide for yourself. Make a list of the the top 5 things you want to do with it. Find out what's available in your price range. Once you narrow it down to a few choices, then post a question asking people if they have experience with those products and what their opinions of them are. If you ask an open-ended question like you did, you're going to get a lot of bull**it answers.

Above all just remember, opinions are like rectums....everyone has one and they all stink!

hello frnds i purchased a rigol digital oscilloscope ds1102e .happy with it.....It has good finish and very user friendly measure and displays of different parameters

Reactions: kabiru

kabiru

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hey guys
I wanna buy a new cheap (300$ to 450$) but good not the best Digital Oscilloscope, which one should I buy ?? I have following Options
1) OWON PDS6062T
2) OWON SDS6062
3) RIGOL DS1052E
???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back