Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Import a layout using Encounter

Status
Not open for further replies.

konx

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
import layout encounter

Hi all!

I have the following problem (another :D):

I have a full-tested design (called Pixel) in schematic version. After various simulations (with cadence Virtuoso) using testbenches, I am able to extract the verilog netlist of the Pixel. With this netlist, I run Encounter and I can import the design (basically, I import the netlist and a floorplan) and obtain the layout of this Pixel.

Now, I have a "block" called 'Oscillator' that is NOT in the verilog netlist. This oscillator has is own schematic and his own layout, but in Cadence Virtuoso.

The oscillator has to be connected with the Pixel. Obviously, it is simple to do this thing in a schematic.

The question is: is it possible to import the layout of the oscillator in Encounter and connect it properly with the layout of the pixel? The point is that I can't use a schematic with Pixel and oscillator connected and then extract a netlist, because we want to use the Oscillator layout that we already have.

I tried to read the encounter manual, and it seems to me that I have to import the Oscillator as a 'module', but the process is not clear.

Someone know how to do? :)

Thanks for help!

Francesco.

export layout from encounter

konx said:
Hi all!

I have the following problem (another :D):

I have a full-tested design (called Pixel) in schematic version. After various simulations (with cadence Virtuoso) using testbenches, I am able to extract the verilog netlist of the Pixel. With this netlist, I run Encounter and I can import the design (basically, I import the netlist and a floorplan) and obtain the layout of this Pixel.

Now, I have a "block" called 'Oscillator' that is NOT in the verilog netlist. This oscillator has is own schematic and his own layout, but in Cadence Virtuoso.

The oscillator has to be connected with the Pixel. Obviously, it is simple to do this thing in a schematic.

The question is: is it possible to import the layout of the oscillator in Encounter and connect it properly with the layout of the pixel? The point is that I can't use a schematic with Pixel and oscillator connected and then extract a netlist, because we want to use the Oscillator layout that we already have.

I tried to read the encounter manual, and it seems to me that I have to import the Oscillator as a 'module', but the process is not clear.

Someone know how to do? :)

Thanks for help!

Francesco.

convert your osc's layout into lef by abstract generator, then you can import the osc's lef into encounter and do the placement and routing.

encounter design import

wpchan05 said:
convert your osc's layout into lef by abstract generator, then you can import the osc's lef into encounter and do the placement and routing.

Thanks for help!

Studying a little more the process, I think I can do in 2 ways:

- generate a LEF file in Virtuoso, and export it in Encounter.
- generate a complete layout in Encounter, reserving some space for the oscillator.Then export the layout in Virtuoso, and in Virtuoso add the oscillator block at the Pixel Layout.

Bye!

Francesco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back