Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what micro-controllers are suitable for my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael969

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm new in the embedded world, I hope you can help me to choose the right HW.

so, I'll try to describe my needs.

without getting into the technical requirements, the final product should be very small (disk on key size) and cheap. it should have usb connector and small amount of read/write storage (8MB, maybe less).

the technical details:
I want to write some simple program that will run on the micro controller (my program should run on a top of some basic operation system), the program should do some cryptographic stuff, so the CPU should be fast enough.

Another important requirement is standard OS, I really want to be able to develop in standard C code, on a top of a basic OS. so I need some micro-controller + development kit that already have some boot loader and standard operation system (I don't care if it's real time or not) .
I understand that linux is to heavy, so maybe vxWorks or something like that.

I hope it was clear enough, waiting for your comments.

mcu with CORTEX-M3 core or some ARM7 chip may be suitable.

Usually when i start a new design .One of my main concerns is the PRICE ..HOW MUCH can i AFFORD !. This is usually dictated by the amount of units that the design will be produced .Then and only then i start lookinf for the architecture than can MATCH my BUDGET ...NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND ..
otherwise i will use a CRAY SUPERCOMPTER to count peanuts !

regards

eltonjohn:

at the end, the amount of the units should be huge (maybe 500K a year) - so it should be cheap, maybe something like 5$.

Hi

Look at ATMEL site, for application note for the new SAM3 - one application is a 8 Mbit mass storage device best on microcontroller with code in C language

All the best

Bobi

bobcat1, I searched the ATMEL site and I found this:
http://www.atmel.com/products/at91/sam3landing.asp?family_id=605

there is a table at the bottom of the page.
all the MCU's have small storage, not even 1M.
and I couldn't find the dimensions.

another thing I didn't mention is that I want portability if it's possible.

for example, if I can prove that there are more then 10 different MCU's, that are in the right dimensions and the right price and I can run Linux on them - it will be awesome. I'll start writing my program, without being concern on the HW, because I know that I can find a suitable MCU anytime.
but, unfortunately I understand that linux is too heavy and it won't run on a cheap and small MCU.

so now I go down in my list, and looking on vxWorks - what MCU's can run vxWorks? if there are enough, I'll start writing my program on vxWorks, if not, lets go down in my list and check the next OS.

It is rather obvious that you are new to microcontrollers. Talking about a small memory, may be 8 MB or less is external memory and a microprocessor. Integrated memory sizes for device in the <$5 range will not exceed 512k. At this point in time you still need a PCB, the USB connector, probably a commercial OS (such as VxWorks) or may be FreeRTOS which might not be so free for a commercial project.
May be you could start looking at ARM9 devices without internal Flash and combine these with external NAND flash and SDRAM.
Example: http://www.standardics.nxp.com/products/lpc3000/lpc313x.lpc314x.lpc315x/
You other option is to reduce you memory requirements to 512k use a very small OS and you might be able to do the whole thing at <$8 @ 500k pieces.

Bob
This is not a project for somebody at your experience level, no offense!

Michael969
Your problem is best addressed by eltonjohn. That seems to be the best appraoach for your needs.

thank you guys for your comments.

It's true that I'm new in this area. as I said, I'm a programmer.

but why do you think it's to big for me? I mean, I don't want to design a board by myself. I thought I could get something ready from the market and start writing my program - that's not the situation?

after all, I don't need some special peripherals, just a usb connector and a flash, maybe some led.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back