Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drive Sensorless Brushless DC motor using Microcontroller(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilshan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bldc drive microcontroller

Hi All,

I’m tried to connect Brushless DC motor (sensor less version) with PIC16F630 microcontroller. In PIC what I’m trying to do is define the magnetization sequence. (Like which I’m doing previously for stepper motors) But this may not work for me. (Even if both stator and rotator is in predefine "parking location")

Are there any methods to drive BLDC motor without using hall-effect sensors or back EMF detection? I need "extremely simple approach/method" to drive BLDC. Did any of you know some method to drive BLDC motor without using above mentioned methods ?

pic microcontroller bldc

You can drive it in simple stepper mode, commutate at a very slow rate.
BUT, it will not run smoothly, it will jerk about a lot and any load will destroy your drivers.
A brushless motor is designed to run at speed and needs some feedback of position to know when to commutate.
Checkout Microchip application note AN1175 for a simple program to drive brushless motor using a pic16f.
The pic needs an enhanced pwm module and comparators, such as the 684 or 883.

hi i am kunal,
can i directly connect brushless motor to arm7 LPC2148 controller without using electronic speed control module

Last edited:

hi i am kunal,
can i directly connect brushless motor to arm7 LPC2148 controller without using electronic speed control module

NO, you should not connect controller pins to motor.

Yes as highlighted in this thread you need to use some driver stage and feedback monitoring system to drive brushless DC motor.

Without monitoring the feedback it’s very difficult (impossible ?) to drive the BLDC motor. I try several methods (without implementing feedback monitoring logic) and all of them are not much successful.

:idea: There are several single chip BLDC motor driving ICs are available in the market and they are pretty much easy to use.

is there any software program which work same as motor driver

which bldc motor you used giove me the model number & how you interface it with PIC controller

I think you should drive the motor at low speed first, and if the motor has run, you may increase the speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back