Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lmc660c sinking to much current

Status
Not open for further replies.

malik_123

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am using lmc660c quad op am IC

when i run the circuit by external tranformer based dual power supply having +/- 12
volts
it consumes just 2 mA

but when i run it buy the 5 to +/- 15 volt DC DC converter it started taking
about 54 ma from DC DC converter

i am unable to understand why it do so ?

the max limit of the input voltage of the IC is +/- 16 volts

one thing is the dc dc converter no load voltage are about 20 volts which decrease to +/- 15 volts under the loaded conditions provided the current sourced by the dc dc converter is less the 30 ma

can some one guess what could be the problem

with the transformer based supply it consumes just 3 ma and from the dc dc converter its sinks more then 54 ma

Hi
The increase in current may be because of DC-DC converter rather thatn the opamp.

DC-DC converters boost voltage from 5V to 15V by consuming excess current from 5V source.
So Try to decrease dc-dc o/p voltqage to say 7V then u can see the current consumed will be less. this wil give you an idea abt the functioning of DC-DC converter.

--Babesh

Status
Not open for further replies.