Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW TO LEARN PCB FABRICATION AT HOME, i m a beginner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhmadAbuOmar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb fabrication tutorial

Hi

Those are the first words i write in this forum which i found amazing for all electrical engineers and hobbyists. I m from middle east, jordan. And i m an electrical engineer. But i still have no idea about fabricating PCB's at home niether creating layouts using softwares. I tried couple of times to use ORCAD to learn PCB's but it didnt work. So the main question is :

Is there any simple and instructive tutorial to learn PCB fabrication along with software learning and drilling methods.

remember that i m a beginner and i really want to learn. i need simple tutorial not because i need it the easy way, but because i need just to get involved and then i m ready to work hard to learn and improve my self.

i wish u can help

thx in advance.

pcb fabrication

Hi,

Understand you wanting to learn steadily with a good tutorial, but with there being so many different ways to make and design a pcb, everyone has there own personal favourite.

If you seach these forums and the web there are loads of video clips and tutorials on making PCBs, which method to use will partly depend on what materials are readily available locally and aslo what kind of printer you have.

I started with pcb transfers, moved onto the Press and Peel method, but now use the UV led method to create the fine tracks needed for micros.

There are so many pcb design suites out there - many free , that all come with their own tutorials - you may have to try a few to find one that suits you.
Eagle seems a very popular one, although finally settled on Proteus Ares which I purchased after using their limited trial version for a while.

hth

german. cxem.net

Thank you guyz

i have downloaded an ebook called "PCB design using orcad and layout" and i go through its first chapter. I concluded that it is a lil bet advanced. So i think i ll switch plans and try ur advice.

i ll start with proteus cuz i heard it is a good software. but what is the cost of the full version u purchased wp100? and what is the limitations of the limited version? can i use it for a while as a begginer?

GL and thx alot

learn pcb

Hi,

I purchased a very early version of Proteus Ares pcb design, which still does all the boards I want which are mainly single sided.

You can download for free the current Proteus Lite suite which will let you try out simple pcbs etc.
There are some limitation but none that will affect you for a long time.
Note that this Lite version will not run on Windows Vista.
http://www.proteuslite.com/index.html?

It comes with help / tutorials and example pcbs so just stick to simple single sides board while you get used to its ways - jumping into multi layered boards staight way will give you headaches !

Any further thoughts on making the boards - what materials are readily available in you area ?

pcb fabrication in home

Well, Ahmad

how are you? I'm Hazem from Egypt. student at the final year at Al Azhar university in Cairo. I've made a PCB at home once, it's really enjoyable I assure you'll have much fun doing it at home. if you needed any help with doing it please, don't hesitate to send to me.

I'm waiting for your response. GOD be with you.

learn to make pcb

Hi wp100,
well, i downloaded proteus and trying to start my way in its toturial.

i checked out for availiable tools for PCB design and i called a store in my area. i found it easy to get the chemicals and photo resist boards. the main problem now is to find a way to build a homemade box for uv exposure. i have found a good way to build my own exposure box. it is fully described in an ebook called 'Fabricating Printed Circuit Boards' by "Jon Varteresian".

i think i ll postpone other details till i learn about proteus and make some artworks first.

mezo,
thx for ur help. i ll keep u on touch and i ll ask u for help for sure. i think it will be a great opportunity to learn some of what u had learnt.

thx guyz for ur response

make pcb at home

Hi Ahmad,

Like any program Proteus Lite takes a bit of getting into - thing is, just do some simple single sided board designs, don't overload your self with the thousands of options that are in there.

Have not found any link for that book but expect it is a fluorescent lamp type of UV frame ? - can be a bit expensive buying the tube and chokes.

I made a UV LED one that does up to A4, apart from a load of cheap Ebay type UV leds and a simple psu in a box and a bit of glass for the copy board - gives superb results in just 4 mins.

pcb fabrication with pictures

wp100,

here is a link for the book i mentioned and its in gigapedia

http://gigapedia.com/items/28735/fabricating-printed-circuit-boards

in chapter 6 of this book, there is a design for building exposure cone and frame.

i saw those 2 pictures u attached. this seems very interesting. did u built that on your own? it is great and i wish to build an exposure box like that. i wich u help me get the design to do it.

BW

uv exposure pcb layout paper

Hi Ahmad,

The UV box is my own design as there was little of practical use on the web - its very cheap and simple - the A4 single sided area is made up of two A5 led boards so that I can put one on the top side to do A5 double sided boards as well.

It can made much smaller - it does not have to be that big - but buying a 100 leds is so cheap its you might as well make a good sized one.

A friend in South Africa has also done a similar unit that he is also very pleased with.

Give me a couple of days - I will try and get some more pictures and make up a small guide pdf for you.

pcb fabrication howto

Hi wp100 and Ahmad. Great thread you have here. I'm completely newbie vis-a-vis PCB design and fabrication. I desperately want to learn. i had gone through some tutorial on EAGLE and toner transfer method but still confused what to do as i often come across different methods like toner transfer, photoresist, and so on. please, which do i start with. i think i have made up my mind to go with proteus ares since it is easy to develop schematics on proteus isis. Ahmad, it's an opportunity for me to learn with you. i will confirm the type of material to easily get in my area. thanks.

how to fabricate pcb with pictures

Hi Codewise,

You say you have read the Eagle tutorial - have you created your own test single sized board with it ?

You also say you have gone though the toner transfer, does thant mean you have actually done a printout and ironed it onto a peice of copper board and etched it ?

Toner transfer is a good way to start, if you have a laser printer, - it is a good method for a lot of boards but if you want to do really fine traces for micros or smd circuits then the uv method is the only way in my mind - but thats just my humble opinion - others may disagree.

So, let us know where you are at, learning together - its always helps to bounce problems off each other and share your experiences.

pcb fabrication for beginners

Hi wp100. Thanks alot for your swift reply. that's encouraging. I have only in theory read the process of toner transfer method. i really dream to do the practical thing. i was thinking if i could see a video of the process, it'll give me confidence to do the real thing. I actually designed a simple layout with the limited version of EAGLE. though not so perfect but ok for a starter like me. i have never made a print on copper board. doing the real thing is where my problem lies. if i can do a single board and use it, it will build my confidence to do better and more. i hope this thread will give me the required confidence. i also want to learn how to use proteus because most of my circuits are in proteus including its simulation ability unlike EAGLE. is there any tutorial video or book for beginner to learn how to make PCB Layout with proteus? I think i should try toner transfer method first for some experience before jumping to the uv method like you suggested.

what do you mean by pcb design & fabrication

Hi Codewiz,

Well if you move to Proteus Lite I expect a lot will be similar to Eagle, there are only so many ways to draw lines ! - learning along with someone like Ahmad certainly will help you both get get on quicker.

I my write up for the UV box I will add in some details of etching the boards with ferric chloride - if you have a laser printer all you need do is print your circuit on to some thinnish glossy magazine paper - straight on to the printed page - you then use a clothes iron to 'transfer' the laser image on to the copper board. The paper is removed leaving the board ready for etching.

There are loads of details on the web, forget all the fancy machines and gizmos - just need the ferric , slighty warmed first, in a plastic tray and just gently rock for 15 mins.

Important things, plastic gloves, saftey glasses and old clothes.

proteus isis download

I recommend Kicad for schematic capture and layout. It is open source freeware:
**broken link removed**

Also there is a lot of information on designing PCBs in these IPC publicatons:
IPC 2221A:
http://portal.ipc.org/Purchase/Prod...t_code={92a34ba8-b386-db11-a4eb-005056875b22}
IPC 2222:
http://portal.ipc.org/Purchase/ProductDetail.aspx?Product_code=98a34ba8-b386-db11-a4eb-005056875b22

I use both these documents extensively when designing PCBs. There is lot of information including how large to make the holes and their pads for a given lead diameter, how wide to make traces and how close they can be given current and voltage, information PCB materials, SMD footprints, etc.

how to learn fabrication india

@wp100. it seems that the toner transfer method is really not a big deal from your description. i have just one doubt: is toner ferric chloride resistant? . that will be great for you to add details of etching in uv method. thanks alot.

Added after 20 minutes:

spflanze said:
I recommend Kicad for schematic capture and layout. It is open source freeware:
**broken link removed**

Also there is a lot of information on designing PCBs in these IPC publicatons:
IPC 2221A:
http://portal.ipc.org/Purchase/Prod...t_code={92a34ba8-b386-db11-a4eb-005056875b22}
IPC 2222:
http://portal.ipc.org/Purchase/ProductDetail.aspx?Product_code=98a34ba8-b386-db11-a4eb-005056875b22

I use both these documents extensively when designing PCBs. There is lot of information including how large to make the holes and their pads for a given lead diameter, how wide to make traces and how close they can be given current and voltage, information PCB materials, SMD footprints, etc.
please can u send these 2 IPC documents to me? i'm curious. e-mail doc.code[at]yahoo.com. thanks in anticipation.

pcb fabrication books

Codewiz I have just one doubt: is toner ferric chloride resistant?

Yes, laser printer toner is resistant to Ferric .

When you do an iron on transfer you may find the odd bit of track lifts off when soaking/ removing the paper.
A common fine tipped black permament marker pen, like those used for labelling cds, is good for touching up the image.

what varnish is used for in soldering

cool! i should embark on it. thank for clearing my doubt. more tricks & tips are welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back