Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the better Visual Basic, Visual C++ or Delphi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SphinX

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

What do you use?

Thanx
SphinX

I like delphi, if only because it was *not* written by M$.

I've tried all three and find Delphi the most useable, even though I am a C/C++ (Borland) programmer for anything *not* needing a lot of windows GUI.

I've only developed a few bespoke packages in Delphi though, maybe about a year's total work. I've done a lot more in C/C++ on other systems.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

It depends on what you want to do. Requirements should define the tool to be used.
For simple small projects VB is ideal, but when it gets to bigger and more complex, Delphi is the one.
C is better though when no serious interface is needed and there is a lot of data proccessing to be done.

Regards,
toxadi

did you ever think using python. it's very useful and so easy to code. you can develop projects very fast because it's a very high level language and because it's open source there is so much developers and ready to use codes. you can use existing c++ libraries with it. and it's free!
w*w.python.org

Hi,

Delphi is the better of the better of the better, sir...

Best regards

and ... what do you think about C++ Builder?

I think it is great. But I've not yet created professional applications.

I think Visual C++ is better than others,because of power of C language.You must start with VC++.Other languages is just trash!
Pascal isn't an engineering language.

Hi,
sure C++ is the language of engineer. no doubt about it. :twisted:
as far as compiler is concerned, u can choose it according to your requirements.

thanks
sawaak

Oh, if you want an engineering language, use LISP. Jodrell Bank (the BIG radio telescope in the UK) runs on LISP, after all. Forget C - :roll:

But for a GUI language on Windows, LISP just sucks. Delphi is the best for general Windows GUI programming, write your real back-end technical stuff in C++, and control your radio telescopes with LISP.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

As others have said, it depends on the application as well as other issues like code portability as well as the amount of time you would want to spend learning.

Borland's tools are easy to use and powerful. I certainly find them much easier than Microsoft's tools.

If your project requires hardware interfaces, C++ is the way to go - most if not all manufacturers will send example source code in C++. If it needs a lot of GUI work on windows, then Delphi is a good solution. When you choose Borland you can combine the two quite easily. Indeed the Gui part of Builder (the Visual Component Library or VCL) is actually written in Delphi.

If you want to port your application to Linux then Kylix can use most of the code you wrote in both Delphi and C++ (except the Win32 specific functions - obviously).

The learning curve is steeper and longer than VB for both C++ Builder and Delphi (and Kylix - the Linux version of the two combined).

But the rewards at the end will justify the time spent. C++ is an established and ANSI standardised, tried and tested professional language, available for just about any operating system you can name (Windows, Linux, UNIX, Mac etc) and you can be almost certain that there will be a C++ compiler for any future OS - you cannot go far wrong with it.

VB is a one maker(MS), one OS (Windows) language. If all you ever want to do is create a little application to run on Windows - then VB might be for you.

I use delphi for quick prototype dev and small project. But for product vc++ is a better choice.

Hi All,

I use VC++ (in C) for devellopment of Drivers USB or PCI,
Because DDK is in "C", and I make a DLL in C,
And all rest of application in Delphi.

Delphi have Better Code. faster an smallest.
And very very quickly for make the Dev...

the C++ is not the language of engineer...
the C++ is the language for Database application or for beginner...

OK the "C" but you must write a good code..

Best regards YodaTheGreat

I think it all depends on the task and on the target platform.
eg.
* When you need a simple gui on a windows system and a frontend for a database you probably will use Visual Basic.
* When you need to write a normal application (with some complexity) you can choose whatever language you like and you know best (Visual C++, Delphi, Python, Java, ...) Every language has his good and bad things.
* When you write stuff close to the hardware you'll probably use C/C++
* When you write software that needs to be portable to other OSses you should probably use java (although the other langagues have a degree of portability too (depending on the amount of os specific things u use)
* When you write embedded software you will probably use C (with some assembler) and try to write as much ansi C as possible for portability issues (you don't wanna be too dependant from a uC vendor!!)

Antharax

I am using .NET now...
for .NET
VC#.NET VC.NET VC++.NET VJ#.NET or VB.NET look the same for me....
It depends on what do you want it for....

Delphi is a windows+PASCAL OOP.

I think you should keep a sequence of languages like assembly, C, C++, VC++, Delphi, VB

More closeyou are to the hardware, more you go on to the assembly side of the sequence, and more you go close to the user, more you go on the VB side of the sequence.
After that you might have your portability issues(both H/W and OS), your knowledge of language and size of your language and the most important time you have got in your hands to complete the project

Depend

Depend all with your need and your experience ...

If you go with easy go with VB , if you want much powerful choose delphi , and if you want powerful and large support using Vc++.

Depend to your skill , if you a VB programmer just try using VB to solve all your problem not need to learn delphi to solve your problem in VB. Just take one and take all of your mind , algorithm and skill for your application

thx

In the paste I have used Visual Basic. This is good for simple applications. Now I`m using Borland Builder. This have a friendly enviroment like Visual Basic. I think that .NET is very powerfull and simple but generated code is heavy, in few words .NET application is only for new machines with many memory and hard disk. This is not suitable for old machines with poor recurses (Like all Microsoft applications). Regards.

Visual C++ is better than others

It doesn't depent of your application. Use delphi and win time. never use vb. but use vb.net and know delphi.net is released and is very good. i did all of i wanted until now with delphi , simple applications as wel as applications that uses hardware.

Delphi.

You will never have ActiveX delivered with source. VCLs in Delphi almost all come with source.

Avra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back