Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM_LICENSE_FILE / CDS_LIC_FILE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterlaaser

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cds_lic_file

Hi,
I would need an advice regarding the license file location setup:

Usually (as far as I know), the "icfb" should get the information where to find the license file / license server from the environment variables CDS_LIC_FILE or LM_LICENSE_FILE.

In the company I am currently working for, it is obviously done differently.
The variables are not set at all and if I do set them to a specific path, it's ignored.

How can I find out which license file / license server the icfb (version 5.10.41) is using?
I can look at the list which licenses are available (icfb: Options->License...), but I would like to understand where it gets this info from.

Any ideas that could help me?

Thanks in advance, Peter

lm_license_file

well, this is a good question.

as I guess, cadence would look for a default license file maybe under <cdsroot>/share ...

you should check if your command icfb is directly point to cadence's executable. Some one would like make a wrapper and insert some env definition inside.

and the most complete way is to use .cdsinit, it start from the <cdsroot>/share/local/... or ~/.cdsinit in this flow we also can do anything we want.

cds_lic_file

Thanks for your respnse, haann.

I checked <cdsroot>/share and .cdsinit
but I couldn't find the license file/server definition there.
Is there a way to check the used environment variables directly within the CIW?
At least, they don't appear in the shell, the ICFB-CIW was started from.

Best regards,
Peter

lm_license_file cds_lic_file

yes, you can use getShellEnvVar("ENV"), not sure the commenad is right, you can use cdsFinder to find it.

cds_lic_file or lm_license_file

Thank you hann.
I could verify that the CDS_LIC_FILE variable was set somewhere during the startup process. I'm still struggling to find out, at which point that happens.
Unfortunately, I cant' influence which license file is being used.
I can set the CDS_LIC_FILE variable to my target file path at the beginning of the startup phase. Then it gets overwritten somewhen during the later startup phase.
I can set it in the middle or end of the startup phase. Then it isn't overwritten anymore but it also has no effect anymore.
I'm still working on it.

Thanks,
Peter

cds_lic_file not updated

You didn't say which distro you use (unless I missed that detail).

Did you check on /etc/rc.d or /etc/rc.d/rc*.d ?

I believe one of the setup steps involves putting some files there to setup the environment or licenses, I'm not sure which it is, I don't like that any program has root privileges except for the package manager so I always skip that step.

Maybe you can do this

Code:
grep -irls CDS_LIC_FILE /etc/rc.d

and maybe if there is any file with CDS_LIC_FILE inside it will tell you the path to the file and you can inspect it and change it if you like.

echo lm_license_file

try echo command. i.e,
echo $LM_LICENSE_FILE

or what ever varible is used for license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back