Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can we use normal buffers instead of clock buffers for CTS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sowmya005

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,
The arm advanced-HS std cell library we are using does not have clock buffers or clock inverters at all.
Can I use the normal buffers and inverters with high drive strength for CTS?
Will the chip work?
Please help me.

Re: Can we use normal buffers instead of clock buffers for C

hi,

if u don't have clock buffers and inverters, then check the buffers and inverters cells in your library and check their drive strength, rise time and fall time. its advisable to use the buffers and inverters having nearly same rise and fall time event for clock tree, next it should have high drive strength and good slew. So with this checks you can use proper buffers and inverters for clock tree.

it may help you.

thanks..

HAK..

Can we use normal buffers instead of clock buffers for CTS

Hi HAK,
Thanks for the reply.
I found out that in the ARM ADVANCED std cell lib, the beta ratio is indicator to the drive strength field and the CLK prefix has been dropped since this prefix was really just indicating a B type beta ratio in previous SAGE-X and METRO libraries.
I can choose the cells based on beta ratio.

Thanks

I guess you cannot use normal buffers because of no symmetry in rise and fall times, you have to go for clock buffers or clock inverters only
Reply me

Re: Can we use normal buff instead of clock buffers for CTS

Hi,
I think I was not clear in my previous reply.
ARM ADVANCED std cell lib does not have any cell that starts with CLK.
ARM METRO std cell lib and the ARM SAGE-X std cell lib have them.
But the ARM ADVANCED lib has cells with the drive strength beta ratio defined as B.
It means equal delays on both edges.
The document makes it clear that the naming prefix CLK indicates the same beta ratio B. and hence there are no cells that start with CLK.
So, the buffers and inverters with the beta ratio B can be used for CTS.
Based on the lib, the cells for CTS change.

Thanks

if we use normal buffers there may be a chance of occuring pulse width violations.bcoz of different tr and tf.. it will disturb every thing....

correct me if i m wrong plz.... i m fresher...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back