Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with simulating a circular waveguide in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathj72

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am simulating a circular waveguide in HFSS and I am getting odd results for the s-parameters. The result from graphing gamma shows that the wave will not start propagating before 4GHz . Yet when I graph S11 it is less -50dB below 4GHz. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong.

circular-waveguide

Hi,
can you tell me, what is diameter of your circular waveguide? It must be wider than 43.96 mm.

exciting circular waveguide

It is wider that 43.93mm. I cannot remember the exact dimensions because I do not have the simulation in front of me right now. In the simulation the field patterns all looked right, the imaginary part of gamma looked right when it was plotted for multiple modes. However, when I looked at the s-parameters there were odd results.

parameters of circular waveguide

Are you exciting the mode in the right way?
I mean does it need circularly symmetric mode like TE11 to excite?

Re: circular waveguide

I believe I am. I was using the same excitation as example for the conical horn from the HFSS v10 documentation. Which is define a circular waveport with the integration line going across the diameter.

Re: circular waveguide

At first glance your results might seem odd, but they are infact correct. Below the cutoff frequency the evanescent modes quickly decay and thus below 4GHz a very small amount of power makes it anywhere in the waveguide. Therefore the amount of power of these dying modes that get reflected back to the port will be very small as well hence a RL>50dB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back