Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature Sensor - A mixed Signal-Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuehnsen

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

Actually I work on the design of a miniaturized board with many analog and digital parts on it. But my task is not fully done I still need to integrate an temperature sensor on it. But there is not enough space on this board for a voltage reference and an temperature sensor (i.e. LM20) PIC with ADU is still on the board. (A acurate way)
So I decided to use an NTC (or PT10K) an Reference-Resistor and an Capacitator. The processor charges and discharges the capacitator once over Reference-Resitor and ones over NTC. I just count the time for both charge cycles and calculate the temperature from the differences this counters. I read this in an articel somewhere, its very small (3x0603) and I can use 3 digital I/O's !

My problem is: How acurate could this measurement be.
If you think of an real capacitator and the behavior of this, way input-capacitance of the IO-Ports and so on?

Maybe someone has a good hint for me to think about!

Kuehnsen

There are several sources of error.

1. Putting current through the resistor will raise its temperature.

2. The capacitor has a temperature coefficient.

3. The current from the PIC has a temperature coefficient.

All in all I would suspect poor performance. You should look into squeezing the parts on the board closer together and use a real sensor like the LM20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back