Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PS2 keyboard reading VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0nald

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
keyboard vhdl

I need to keep in my register playerAkeyb(7 downto 0) data about which key is down or not.

Right not I am using testled for debugging.

If I do not look which particular key was pressed, the code works well. If I check wether the key pressed was something particular(stored in playerAkeys(4)), then the behaviour is random(sometimes work, sometimes doesnt).

Code:
  process(clk25MHz)
  begin
		if clk25MHz'event and clk25MHz = '1' then
			if ps2_rdy = '1' then
				if scancode = release_key_const then
					key_release <= '1';
				else
					--if scancode = playerAkeys(4) then
						if key_release = '0' then
							playerAkeyb(4) <= '1';
						else
							playerAkeyb(4) <= '0';
							key_release <= '0';
						end if;
					--end if;
				end if;
				ps2_clr_rdy <= '1';
			end if;

if ps2_clr_rdy = '1' then
				ps2_clr_rdy <= '0';
			end if;
		end if;			
	end process;

testled <= playerAkeyb(4);

So the current code works, but can not differentiate between keys pressed. If I uncomment the "if scancode = playerAkeys(4) then", the thing sometimes works, sometimes doesnt.

Here is the whole code: **broken link removed**
Here is the PS2 driver code: **broken link removed**

I guess there is some simple stupid thing what I am missing and why I am smashing myself through the wall for 2 days now.

ps2 keyboard vhdl

playerAkeys(4) is only one bit of data, not 4. Note that PS/2 scan code is 8-bit. You need a multi-bit register, and optionally, slice notation: playerAkeys(7 downto 0).

reading a key bord in vhdl

Please see that playerAkeyb is bit_vector(7 downto 0) and playerAkeys is vector of bit_vector(7 downto 0). They are 2 different signals with a similar name :)

The syntax is correct, otherwise it wouldnt even synthesize :)

vhdl ps2

Wrote the whole code in a big-and-slow state-machine fashion and it now works OK. I guess it takes some effort to stop quit thinking that I am writing software, not hardware :)

Status
Not open for further replies.