Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with including variables in VHDL for state machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Variables in VHDL

It's about fixed point not floating point.

LOL.. The term 'fp' has been embedded into me as floating point.. So when i read any sentence with a word 'point' in it, i will still register as floating point.

Seeing that i have only started learning VHDL 10 months ago, i don't really understand the standards involve. (from the link you have shown me)

I will make do with standard_logic_vector then. Wanted to know if there is any efficient way to do the conversion fast.

As I said, all operations most likely required in your application as defining a fractional number representation for integer quantities, scaling of multiply results, saturation logic to avoid numeric overflow can be handled with standard arithmetic packages as well. I just wanted to mention the existence of the fixed point IEEE library. For a small project, you possibly go faster when ignoring the option.

Synthesized results should be similar, provided, both variants are applied meaningful respectively.

Thanks. Managed to resolve it.

Didn't realise that the below are not the same when "a" is a std_logic_vector.

a <= a * 5; -- this gives error

is not equivalent to

a <= a * "101";

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back