Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need some clarification pl

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsp

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all rf experts

i would like to know the following things

1. what is the difference between
a. 90 deg/quadrature hybrid
b. ring hybrid/ rat race combiner
c. wilkinson combiner
2. which one to use at what condition?

3. waht is the advantage of ring hybrid/rat race?

4.what is the advantage of 90 deg / quadrature hybrid?

thanks in advance expecting reply.

hello jsp,

I give you my vision of these components:
1) differences
a) 90deg hybrid is a 4-port directional coupler. if you enter on port 1, your outputs are port 2 and 3 with the same amplitude and 90deg shifted. port 4 is isolated from port 1. if you enter on port 4, your outputs are 2 and 3 and the shift is -90deg.

b) rat race. is a 180deg 4 port directional coupler. if you enter on port 1, the outputs are 2 and 3 and they are 180 out of phase. port 4 is isolated from 1. If you enter on port 4, port 2 and 3 are the outputs with the same phase. This device is useful to add/substract signals

c) wilkinson. is a 3 port device (with a resistor inside). gives in-phase outputs, i.e., enter on port 1 and ports 2 and 3 are in-phase. since all ports are matched and the outputs are isolated this is a sort of directional coupler wher the 4th port is internal, and connected to the resistor

2) depends on the application you are thinking on. e.g., if you have a 2 port antenna for circular polarization you have to use the 90deg hybrid. If you are designing a mixer with in-phase signal+out of phase local oscillator, you should use the rat race, if you are splitting/combining a signal, you can use the wilkinson,...

3) and 4) there is no advantage of using one or another, it depends what you want to do with the signals.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back