Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What program supports 2D sheet metal and fold lines -> 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

nschutten

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dutch fold sheet metal

I am looking for a tool in which I can input a 2D drawing (sheet metal), define fold / bend lines, specify the angles, upon which the program can render the resulting 3D model for verification, while I can still access the original 2D drawing for easy editing.

I already found www.emachineshop.com and this is almost what I am looking for; I am missing:
- you cannot measure anything in the 3D model renderer
- export to different formats is supported, but doesn't work; therefore when using eMachineShop, I am tied to this manufacturer also; I would like to use industry standard formats instead for easy interchange of files

I have also been using TurboCAD and this seems an excellent tool; however (and this may also be my shortcoming), when I generated the 3D model, this was all that was available; all editing then had to be done in the 3D model, whereas editing on the 2D model is much easier for me.

Regardless of the above, I need to be able to quickly generate the unfolded (layout plan) 2D plan (including the fold lines) from the 3D resulting model.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Helo EDAboard.com,

I want to take papers or proposals concern with the topic, smart control of chisel wear, from your web.
Help me about this problem or guide me how to do for this,please.

Sciencerly ypurs,
bobo

Re: What program supports 2D sheet metal and fold lines -&gt

You can design sheet metal parts with SolidWorks, although very expensive. A more affordable option is Alibre design, also has sheet metal parts design.

In both software, the usual workflow is to design the part in 3D, and the software generates the 2D for you. They are quite easy to learn if you follow the tutorials, and it is actually fun to learn (at least for me).

I used to use AutoCad, but since I learned to design 3D, it is much more useful and realistic.

Hi Payala, thanks for your reply!
I had tried Alibre (didn't try Solidworks due to the price) and some other tools, but in the end ended up with TurboCAD Pro. This is relatively inexpensive (675 euro excl. tax), is relatively easy to use and can do exactly what I want.

Hi There, Sorry for the late reply, just joined.

Solidworks, PRo-Engineer, Autodesk Inventor 2010. These are what I use and they will do all you ask and more.

I use these for design work and then test them with Ansys to see If the design is good for the task. I am sorry to say, these are not cheep packages.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back