Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is relation between antenna size and frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

engmnour

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
antenna size frequency

Can any body help to know the relation between antenna size and frequency?

appreciate if can support by equations.

antenna size wavelength

Refer to any antenna book which contains materials about microstrip antenna.

antenna size and frequency

Hello engmnour,
In general antenna size decreases with increase in frequency. For accurate dimensions refer to the text books.

Regards

antenna size vs frequency

antenna length and frequences are Inversely proportional

relation between antenna length and wavelength

Accoring to b.p. lathi's MODERN DIGITAL AND ANALOGUE COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, third edition

page number 11
line number 3-4

"for efficient radiation of electromagnetic energy the radiating antenna should be of the order of one-tneth or more the wavelength of signal radiated"

and according to frequecny- wavelength relationship...
we know

Frequency * wavelength = speed of light

frequency = (speed of light)/ (wavelength)

so as u increase ur frequency, ur wavelength decreases causing the product of both equals to speed of light (constant). and as wavelength decreases, its corresponding size of antenna also decreases, ultimately the result comes out to be,
INCREASE IN FREQUENCY CAUSES SIZE OF ANTENNA TO DECREASE.

hope u can understand
regards
mosfets.bjt

antenna size and wavelength

as frequency increases size of the antenna decreases...generally size= λ/10 where λ is the wavelength

Hello Mr. mosfets.bjt,

How are you, Hope you are doing great. well your answer really attracted me as i was looking for an answer that " Why cant we use 0.3m dish for 11 GHz frequency? " Your definition and equation gave the exact answer i was looking for, but i am now little confused that why cant we use above 0.6m dish for 38 GHz frequency and above.. i mean as you said, ""for efficient radiation of electromagnetic energy the radiating antenna should be of the order of one-tneth or more the wavelength of signal radiated" and in case of 38 GHz if we use 1.2m antenna, it would likely be more than multiple 10 times of the radiated signal, then why cant we??????

Best regards,
Masood.

hello friend;
as other friends told u if the frequncy increases the wave lengh decreases. and since your antena must at least be 1/10 of the wave lengh, antena size get smaller.but still u can use longer antenas than needed and have good quality.that is why we make the antena longer to get better quality of voice in AM radio.( it is carried by lower frenquncy carriers than FM) .even once I used the door way instead of antena and the radio had a great quality!:D

Re: antenna size and wavelength

rfndmw said:
as frequency increases size of the antenna decreases...generally size= λ/10 where λ is the wavelength
But what about circular microstrip patch antenna? How to decide it's dimentions? I am interested in ground plane size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back