Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to plot radiation pattern in MATLAB (in dB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

si14

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
radiation pattern matlab

Hi all:

I want to know how to plot radiation pattern in dB (Logarithmic) in MATLAB?

Thanks.

matlab radiation pattern

1) which version of MatLab
2) What is your INPUTS ??

radiation pattern in matlab

Hi Kohi_boy:

The version is 2006Ra.
My inputs are angles(rad) and for example Gain in dB or Mag. I export them from HFSS.

3d polar plot matlab

Hello masud_809,

Plotting radiation patterns in matlab is simple but little tricky. I use normalised radiation patterns i.e. max gain is '0' and then it decreases so the scale look likes 0,-5,-10 ...-40(dB) . Other important thing to keep in mind is the POLAR function in matlab do not plot the negative gains and returns you with an error so you have to keep everything positive or zero values.
So to plot the normalised radiation patterns :

1. open your data in excel sheet.

2. look for the max. gain value for particular angle, say for example its 6 dB. Now to make a plot with scale 0 to -40 dB which is most common, add 40-6 i.e 34 to all the gain. This make the highest gain of your result which is 6 dB in our example to 40 dB and other decreases accordingly.

3. Now look for any negative values in gain column and replace it to 'Zero'. Once done now you can plot this normalised radiation pattern data using POLAR command and since you already have angles in radians so just directly use that.
Once you plot the pattern just change the scale in matlab plot as 0 to -40.

Hope this solve your query.
Thanks & Regards
Praful

plot radiation pattern matlab

Dear prafuldeo:

Thank you very much for your description! I appreciate your time. I will check it out today.

Cheers.

matlab plot db

Hello masud_809,
Give it a try and let me know how did it go.

Cheers

si14

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
mmpolar download

I've tried mmpolar function, seems it doesn't support the hold on command so multiple plots in same figure is not possible.

how to plot radiation pattern

hi everybody,
can anybody expalin how to make 3D polar radiation pattern in matlab?
I am using UV plot where with mesh(x,y,z) command
x=sin(theta)cos(phi)
y=sin(theta)sin(phi)
ans
z=calculated gain
all are NxN square matrix
But I want to plot in polar form
Thanks

matlab polar db

Hi mns,
I've never tried 3D polar plots in matlab but seems an interesting exercise. I'll try and let you know.

Regards

how to plot in matlab

Dear all,
I think you can use sisotool function to draw it.
With my best wishes.

Re: how to plot radiation pattern

si14 said:
Hi all:

I want to know how to plot radiation pattern in dB (Logarithmic) in MATLAB?

Thanks.

Added after 4 minutes:

hai mns..

pls give me idea about taking theta and phi values in matlab as iam doing project on plotting antenna radiation pattern using matlab for all type of antennas...
hope i will get reply soon

thanku

Re: how to plot radiation pattern

nagasravanthi said:
hai mns..
pls give me idea about taking theta and phi values in matlab as iam doing project on plotting antenna radiation pattern using matlab for all type of antennas...
hope i will get reply soon
thanku
Hi:

What do you mean by "taking theta and phi values"?
For this post, as you can see, I used MATLAB to re-plot a radiation pattern which I generated with HFSS.
So my angle data were ready and I just needed a function to SHOW that data in 2d/3d.
Regards

Re: radiation pattern matlab

thanks for ur reply.....

can u give me some idea to how to plot radiation pattern for rectangular aperture with a=3lambda,b=2lambda in matlab....hope for the reply...
thnku

Re: radiation pattern matlab

nagasravanthi said:
thanks for ur reply.....
can u give me some idea to how to plot radiation pattern for rectangular aperture with a=3lambda,b=2lambda in matlab....hope for the reply...
thnku
In order to plot the radiation pattern, you need to have the electric(magnetic) fields. There are some classic shapes, for example rectangular apertures with classic radiation patterns.
You can find the radiation pattern for these apertures in any antenna text books. My suggestion is Balanis.
Cheers

hi all,
can anyone say me the commands for plotting the radiation pattern for patch antennas clearly

Hello,

how can i plot radiation pattern of an antenna in Matlab?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back