Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tuning loop antenna tuning help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trishool

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to reduce the inductance of a 3 loop antenna

Hello Guys ,

Please have a look at the following loop(15mm length 2mm thick) antenna for 432Mhz Transmitter hand held device ,which is for PCB. I want to know about the following;

1) What value of Variable capacitor to select (PCB is FR4 , 1.6mm thick standard).

2) Can loop be made small if yes what dimension.

Thank you
-Ts

wonder loop antenna

It needs full study before commenting on your questions.
Let say,
1)you need the tuner for a range then what is the frequency range interested?
2) you have variable cap in series, what is the inductance of the circuit?
3) then calculate the C range

finally yes you can reduce the loop dimensions.

reducing inductance of loop antenna

kspalla said:
It needs full study before commenting on your questions.
Let say,
1)you need the tuner for a range then what is the frequency range interested?
2) you have variable cap in series, what is the inductance of the circuit?
3) then calculate the C range

finally yes you can reduce the loop dimensions.

Thanks ,

Actually I require an antenna for 432Mhz , I place the track as hown around 15cm approx Lambda/4 . The variable cap I see was an example from RFM app note (should the capacitor be placed parallel to loop).

I need suggestion can the loop be left ungrounded when we are furnishing Lambda/4 requirement.

Now when I use FR4 , 1.6mm thick dielectric 4.7 what could be the best bet for tuner capacitor . I am unsure what the inductance might come out at that frequency.

-Ts

You previously said length is 15 mm, now 15 cm. I also wonder what's the length of a loop? So what's the loop geometry?

P.S.: For some reaosn, the drawing wasn't visible to me. The dimensions are still unclear, but I wouldn't call it a loop, it's rather a meander. A loop is a magnetic antenna, that has an enclosed area as significant parameter. By adding a meander, you increase only the inductance but not the area. A meander may have more effect with a monopole (open end) antenna.

FvM said:
You previously said length is 15 mm, now 15 cm. I also wonder what's the length of a loop? So what's the loop geometry?

P.S.: For some reaosn, the drawing wasn't visible to me. The dimensions are still unclear, but I wouldn't call it a loop, it's rather a meander. A loop is a magnetic antenna, that has an enclosed area as significant parameter. By adding a meander, you increase only the inductance but not the area. A meander may have more effect with a monopole (open end) antenna.

Apologies , that was a typo it is 15cm (Lambda/4 @ 432MHz) . I repost the schematic here ;

'A' drawing is a meander and 'B' is I try to tune a meander . Actually the antenna is for a short range link and it has to suffer hand effect and nearby metallic box . I think as the range is not critical 10meter or so , therefore go for this type of design . I am at this point of time unable to download or study HFSS or other simulation but some time in future will definitely download it .
I require suggestions as to what type of antena is the best , the A or B . The B has a quality of a loop as well to stay immune from coupling effects. If one goes for 'B' then what tuner capacitor is required . I couldnt get the Inductance of this type of trace at 432MHz difficult . If trimmer capacitor option is better then please advise value?

Thanks
-Ts

Status
Not open for further replies.