Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC for Hobby Servo Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy_99

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hobby servo controller rs232

Is there any IC available which repeats a given pulse (pulse width in 1-2 ms range) at 20ms interval. This's required for a robotic project, in which 18 hobby servos are to be controlled.

Thank You

happy_99

hobby servo pic

You need something like PIC servo controller.

You can either do it yourself, Internet is full of schematics and code (use Google) or you can buy controllers like this

hxxp://www.matthiasm.com/hwServo.html

or similar.
18 servos is a lot for one controller, so I suppose that you will need two controllers and daisy-chain them.
With those controllers, you can command all servos from RS-232 port.

servo controller ic

Here is a subroutine that waits 4x [numberin W] PIC cycle, include call + return. Good for servo control @4MHz clock (1µs cycle)
Set an output to 1, first put 250 in w (movlw .250), call the routine (call DlyFourW), then put the length from 0 to 255, re-call DlyFourW and finally set output pin to 0

DlyFourW
ADDLW 0FFh
BTFSS STATUS, Z
GOTO DlyFourW
NOP
RETURN

You can control the 18 servo one by one, this means from 18x1 to 18x2 ms, this gives # a normal repeat rate for each servo output
One PIC with enough pins is largely enough :lol:
Take just another pin for control input (RS232 for example)

hobby servo control

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. I just thought if there's a readymade chip then I can use it without wasting the time of the processor.

Thank You

happy_99

pic hobby servo control

Have you every try somthing like Pic Basic Pro or Protron Pic Basic? It let you have easy way to programming PICmicro with BASIC Language, and of course, it's very easy and powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back