Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me build small DIY project of LED lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpteoh26

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
led lighting 12vdc projects diy

hi

i would like to build a small DIY project of LED lighting for the children.

i have a 12Vdc, up to 35-40W supply. the 12V supply can go up 20% or 14.4V sometime.
without using voltage regulator, prefer if can connect all the LED direct to this 12V supply.

could i just connect the LED in series, so that the LED won't blow because of 12Vdc?
i assume, voltage drop 0.7V for each LED, then i just connect 10 LED in series, making the voltage drop to 5V, would this work?

how much current/watt this super bright LED, DS-LED-5SW would consume?

small diy projects

Yes, you can connect the LEDs in series, but remeber that the LED on voltage drop will be closer to 2V (between 1.6 and 2.0V). Even with the LED's in series, you still need a resistor to limit the current. So let's say you connect in series 5 LEDs. for about 10V drop. Use a resistor to limit the current to a few mA, say 5mA to start. Then (12V-10V)/5mA=400 ohms. Should the voltage become 14.4V, then your current would increase to (14.4-10)/400ohm=11mA. That is still acceptable for the LEDs. Fewere LEDs in series with larger resistors will give you better control over the current. Then you parallel these LED+R combinations to get the # of LEDs you need.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back