Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automated Satelite Finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

piitu

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
www.satelitefinder.com

Hi everyone. I have to build a satelite "finding" device which has to find and memorise positions of satelites.
I have to use 2 DC motors to rotate the dish round the X & Z axes, and when i find
a satelite (using a satmeter) I have to fine tune the dish & then store the position using the positions of the motors.
I need a allso a softvare to be able to repositon my antenna in the previously stored positions.

Any suggestions , or has anyone a simmilar project .
All help is appriciated Thank's

If it is a fixed installation, sat receivers usually have a motor drive output and position memory, as do some PVR programs that can use PC sat cards. If it is for portable use, then its a lot more difficult. This is of course done commercially for caravans, boats etc. Not sure about the method they use though.

Hi , thank's for the reply.
The system is a fixed one but the project is for my final exam, so i can't really use existing systems. My biggest consern is how to connect the system with a PC, and how to controll the motor's via PC.
I'll use a satfinder to locate the sat's positions so that's no problem , and writeing the softvare is ok as well, but i haven't yet figured out the link betwen the two.

Are you using any commercial equipment, like a standard dish drive assembly, or is it from scratch. If it is from scratch, you may do better with stepper motors. If you have an older PC, probably it may be easier to use a 2 channel parallel port stepper motor driver. You can buy or make this. Suggest google for circuits. As I said, I am not sure how the DC motor ones work, possibly optical encoders. Do you mean you want the dish to find as well as memorize position. Or just memorize when you have found them.

I'm using commercial equipements ,but the dish assembly , i have to make myself
I'm using linear actuators with read sensors (Strong SRT-A12 , to be more speciffic) the pc is not an issue .
The sistem has to finde & memorize the positions of satellites, using digital signal measuring, and here is y next problem:) How & what to measure digital signals, because i have to be able to find not only those sat's what are on a parabola but those what are outof use , or deviate from the designated track. If you could help me with this it would be grate.
Thank's a lott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back