Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linux boot problem blank screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakesh1234

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
linux boot black screen

Hi,
i m installing linux on my laptop.
I have hp dv5 1160us laptop with windows vista installed.
When I installed linux rhel 5 the istallation went fine but then i booted linux and it gave blank screen after initial boot message.
Note that i have nvidia 9500 GM Graphics in my laptop.
Please help me to make linux working with display.

--
rAkEsH

Re: linux boot black screen

Note that i have nvidia 9500 GM Graphics in my laptop.
Please help me to make linux working with display.

--
rAkEsH

1) Is it necessary to Install RHEL-5 ?
2) can you do away with Fedora-10,11,12,13,14 etc...
3) Can you supply more Info on what is happening?
4) what do you mean by Initial screen?

If there is no official compulsion then Don't install RHEL4 or 5 better Go for Fedora 11,12,13,14 As they are same an later have more cutting edge things.

Else You can install a Ubuntu Desktop which is also very nice.

@bluehole! that's a good idea. Ubuntu and few other canonical distributions and Fedora are also more user friendly distributions of linux.

u can use red hat linux also,i think we have to first install linux os & then windows.if not it gives problem.....

u can use red hat linux also
Are you still playing with extincted Tasmanian tigers?
i think we have to first install linux os & then windows.if not it gives problem.....
Well No it depends on how you manipulate the thing and how much you know about both the OS.

This is my first time installing RedHat Linux(Any Linux for that matter). The installer was great everything was running smoothly until I hit the "first boot". I get "starting First Boot message" and then my screen is blank. I am a complete newbie in Linux.

u can use red hat linux also,i think we have to first install linux os & then windows.if not it gives problem.....

Not really. If you install it either way, things are fine if you can install them properly. If there is an error in installation, that will give problem, not the sequence of installation.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Hi Rakesh,

May I know on which step you encountered blank screen. I am assuming fresh installation.

Boot > GRUB > Kernel loading > Device initilization > First time welcome screen

Regards,
Sameer Dhiman

try to pass nomodeset to the kernel command line in GRUB

that you can do by editing GRUB boot menu while it was booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.