Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a PLC to contorl/simulate the use of a washing machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablome

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
washing machine plc

I was wondering if its possible to take apart the washing machine and have the motor, buttons or whatever else controlled by the plc as a project.
If there is a controller ill just replace it with the PLC.
I wont keep the tub and agitator, just want to control like valves, or a pump, the motor.
However I want to figure out or get suggestions on how to control the motor if im just gotta use a digital In/Out PLC....using thresholds or how?

plc washing machine

There's no easy answer without knowing the motor type and control method. To achieve the speed range from washing to spin-drying, most machines of a variable speed drive, either a DC motor with tachometer feedback or a threephase AC-motor with an electronic inverter. If the motor control is a separate unit, it's possibly controlled by digital signals (e.g. contact closure). Recent machines can be expected to have the motor control functions integrated in a single board electronic controller.

The best oportunities for your project are in using a machine with an electromechanical controller, that can be replaced by a PLC with digital IOs only. You should have a schematic diagram of the machines electrical circuit as a first step.

plc for washing machine

Thankyou. So you mention my best bet is using a electromechanical controller of a washing machine? Are these difficult to find? (I wont buy a brand new one off course.)

plc lwashing machine

Hello!

You can use a motor with inter-changeable(induction motor) poles to change the speed betwen 2 thresholds(or 3).This types of motors are suitable for cranes.
Or you can use an induction motor drived by an inverter (you need for the PLC an analog output 0-10 V or 0(4)-20 mA to control the speed of the motor or some communication capabilities(Profibus,Industrial ethernet...) but for a washing machine I don't think they are necesary).

Or other types of motors controlled by a drive with an analogical input for controling the speed.

Best regards!
venix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back