Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is recharging a dry cell possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makri

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is ordinary dry cell recharging possible ?? have any idea pl help??

Re: Dry cell recharging

I have a commercial unit that claims to do this but it just dous not work. It will lift the voltage on the cell and will give a little bit extra but if you use the cell in a tourch it only lasts seconds.
Barrybear

The manufacturers of ordinary alkaline dry cells warn you to not do it for safety reasons. You can get special rechargeable cells that lose 5% of their capacity each recharge from full discharge. If you use them for 3 recharge cycles or more they are cheaper than ordinary dry cells. One other alternate is NiMH batteries that lose much less than 1% of their capacity each recharge. They have low self discharge currents and so last a long time in consumer products that draw little current like television remote controllers.

It certainly is possible. When I was about 11 years old, an electronics magazine published a very simple circuit that rectified a 50hz voltage and put it through the cells with a high-wattage resistor in series. I used it to charge the 'D' cells in my bicycle lights, they lasted about 2 to 3 hours on a charge (once the initial life was 'used up') and seemed to withstand about 5 recharges before the time dropped significantly.

I now have a commercial MCU controlled unit that definately does work. Torch cells and similar high-usage cells are the ideal ones to recharge. If a cell is drained very slowly, for instance in a remote control, it will usually not recharge as the electrolyte itself has degraded with time.

If I can find the circuit, I will post it, but we are talking about 25 years ago! I'll have a look this weekend.

The key, I remember, was to charge in current pulses, *not* continuous as this could boil the electrolyte. I don't recall the voltage used. Maybe just experiment with low rectified (no smoothing capacitor) AC voltages from a small transformer, remeber the resistor to limit current, until you succeed? Start with a set of equally discharged cells and charge each with a different current, then see how long each lasts with a bulb.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back