Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference between MIM capacitors and other capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipak.rf

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mim capacitors

Can anybody explain the difference between MIM capacitors and other capacitors
like well cap or poly cap?

Thanks in advance

mim capacitor

MIM capacitors basically a parasitic capacitor between the metal layers(MIM -->Metal insulator Metal).Generally CTM mask layer is used for insulation. U will get an accurate capacitance value in this but it takes lot of area.Apart from this we have mos capacitors which is formed between POLY layer and Nwell layer(Poly Nwell Cap) gives more capacitance in less area but the variation is more.
In some process supports PIP capacitor also which is formed between POLY1 and POLY2.

metal insulator metal capacitor

Added after 27 seconds:

rajarg said:
MIM capacitors basically a parasitic capacitor between the metal layers(MIM -->Metal insulator Metal).Generally CTM mask layer is used for insulation. U will get an accurate capacitance value in this but it takes lot of area.Apart from this we have mos capacitors which is formed between POLY layer and Nwell layer(Poly Nwell Cap) gives more capacitance in less area but the variation is more.
In some process supports PIP capacitor also which is formed between POLY1 and POLY2.

Hi rajarg,

Thanks, ya i read that MIM capacitor will have high density and lowest parasitics but disadvantage is it will take more layout area.

can u tell me why MIM capacitor will take more area for same capacitance as compare with others?

pip capacitor

dipak.rf said:
can u tell me why MIM capacitor will take more area for same capacitance as compare with others?
Mainly because the "I" layer between the 2 metal (or poly) layers is thicker than the gate oxide used for the accumulation caps.

nwell cap

"I" in MIM is always field oxide. But in MOS cap it's gate oxide. The thickness is thinner. C=C0*W*L, C0=Eox/tox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back