Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Phase detectors and envelope detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

my8os

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
envelope detectors

I'd like to extract a QAM signal's amplitude and phase from its IF (@40MHz) signal.
I figure an envelope and phase detector will do the job, however I'd like some more information on the design issues entailed. Can anyone point me to a paper or book that describes these in some detail?

Also is there another way to get amplitude&phase?

You will need a local phase reference to do the angels. QAM is expensive enough to do that you should not economize on the detector method. Using the I and Q coherent detectors and level slicers should be done.

If you are making a low cost system, OOK or FSK would be cheaper.

I point you to chapter 8 of Digital Modulation Techniques book.

Link to the book
:)
**broken link removed**

Thanks for your replies. Sorry I wasn't quite specific.
The QAM modulation (and demodulation) is done digitally and afterwards that I/Q is combined digitally, oversampled and then converted to analog at an IF freq of let's say 30MHz using eg @D9856.
(Taken from @D: The @D9856 integrates a high-speed direct-digital synthesizer (DDS), a high-performance, high-speed 12-bit Digital-to-Analog converter (DAC), clock multiplier circuitry, digital filters, and other DSP functions onto a single chip, to form a complete quadrature digital upconverter device. The @D9856 is primarily intended to function as a universal upstream and downstream I/Q modulator for interactive HFC cable network applications, where cost, size, power dissipation, and dynamic performance are critical attributes.)

What I want to do is design a predistortion circuit in the Tx path right after the low pass filtering of the Tx DAC and for this I need amplitude and phase info which is not available from the baseband modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back