Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Ethernet packet sender and receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ethernet packet sender

I have to link a few devices over a local Ethernet LAN. The LAN spans a small building with a few standard 10/100-baseT switches/hubs. Since the devices are very basic, I cant use a full TCP/IP implementation over it. I intend to use the Ethernet protocol without any IP, using only MAC adresses. What I need to know is that if that is possible with switches. It shouldnt be a problem with simple hubs. But would switches have any problem relaying ethernet packets with an unknown overlaying protocol (no IP).

packet sender

Usual switches (unlike routers) are working based on MAC addresses. Thus they are able to transmit non-IP (e.g. Novell Netware) communication as well.

packet sender mac

Is there any underlying network protocol that allows switches to build address tables. I mean a switch only relays packets to the ports where the destination reside. Now for example, I power up everything and transmit a packet to a MAC address A from MAC address B. How does the switch know which port to use.

basic ethernet packet

first time switch will broadcast the message

ethernet sender and receiver

first time switch will broadcast the message
Not necessarily. It may require the connected hosts to send a packet with a sender MAC before. This will happen in usual IP communication automaticly, cause an ARP broadcast has to be answered as first step. If you design a communication based on fixed MAC addresses only, it may be necessary to send a packet (e.g. a broadcast) from each host to inform the switch about the connected host's MAC address.

Status
Not open for further replies.