Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help wanted for Junebug - ferrite bead on the USB,Which .hex

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranam77

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help wanted for Junebug

Hai Friends, I am designing a PCB and assembling Blueroom's "Junebug" Programmer's side whose schematic is attched here. I prefer this schematic as all the components are easily available. I wanted to clarify some doubts.

1. Is the ferrite bead on the USB (+) track mandatory?
2. Which .hex file to use as firmware?
PK2V023200
PK2V023001
PK2V021000
3. May i kindly request to name the out puts of the ICSP connector so that i can design a Zif socket in addition to the ISCP connector.

Pranam77

Help wanted for Junebug

1. Not mandatory but recommended.
2. Any of those will work, 23200 is the latest.

VPP
VDD (+5V)
VSS (GND)
PGD
PGC

You can run an additional I/O called AUX if you want EEPROM support.

Reactions: Neha007

pranam77

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Neha007

Help wanted for Junebug

Hai blueroomelectronics
In fact i expected a reply from you for this. A month back i had sent the same file to your PM inbox. may be it is not delivered. Any way..thanks Bro

Help wanted for Junebug

Hai Bill,
I have completed the Double sisded PCB and the assembling of all the components. Instead of 680 micro henry i have used 1000 micro henry choke. Thatz the only modification. But nothing happens when i connect the USB. The power LED glows and the programmer is not detected. Communication pins of the usb are connected fine. I repeatedly checked with the multimeter. As i haven't got any programmer, i got two PIC's programmed with the local dealer with PK2V023200.hex. Now i have a strong doubt that wether the dealer has really programmed anything ot given me a blank PIC? Also pressing of the Boot loader while connecting the USB does nothing.
What may be wrong? Thanks a lot in Advance.

Help wanted for Junebug

The 680uF inductor has nothing to do with the USB communications. Try holding down the pushbutton when plugging in the USB, the busy LED should flash if it's programmed.

pranam77

Help wanted for Junebug

Hai Bill,
It is already checked pressing the SW while plugging the USB. Nothing happens. That means, the PIC is not programmed. I'll reprogram the same and try again.

Re: Help wanted for Junebug

Hello blueroomelectronics!
Can i use 18F4550 instead of 18F2550 since it is readily available?

Regards.

Bundle of thanks brother.
Regards.

Hai Bill
Thanks a lot for all the guidance. I have sucessfully completed the programmer. Actually it was really a silly mistake on the DSPCB. The crystal pin was connected to gnd on the other side of the PCB. So the programmer naturallly didnt work. It is working fine now. Last question is that the USB voltage drops to 4.8 volts during programming, but it is verified to program most chips. Can this issue be neglected or can you please suggect any remedy for this? Is the 680 micro henry choke playing any vital role in this regard? Thanks again. Here is the snap of the programmer.

Help wanted for Junebug

4.8V is fine, and any inductor from 480uH thru 870uH has worked for me. Others may too. Try some out. You can run the PICKIT2 2.61 software to test VPP, it should be around 13V

Nice work on the layout. Have fun.

Help wanted for Junebug

Thanks for the compliments Bill. I have used the programmer with PICKIT2 2.40. The Vpp shows 12 or 11.9v. Thatz only the point i am thinking of. How can i increase that. Will Vpp increase if i increase the Vpp feeback resistor (R3=2.7K) to about 3.3K or 4.7K? or shud i keep experimenting on various chokes?

Help wanted for Junebug

Thanks Bill. Nothing more on this topic at present.

Hello pranam77, could you share your PCB layout with us?

Thanks

Help wanted for Junebug

Sorry zan28
Please dont mind as i cannot share the layouts. The PCB was designed by me for one of my customer, United7 technologies and they are selling it all over India through their website www.united77.com.

OK, thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back