Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB design with immunity consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper10

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb and immunity

Hi,
when i start to design the PCB,the first consideration to take is to limit the emmission and radiation effect in the board and do the simulation for checking the result (i'm using hyperlynx ).
but for testing the immunity, i have no idea how i can take consideration in the design of the PCB to protect my board to the external sources? does is exist some rules to applicate? any suggestion or documentation will be helpful.
thank you.:|

Hello
I think that idea proposed above (with Google links) is quite good. Addtionally you have to describe potential sources of disturbances (like input power cables etc.). It will give you information which points on PCB must be routed carefuly because they will be inputs for the disturbances. Remember that connection to the chassis ground is important.

Best regards

thanks. In fact, I try to found somethings with search in google, but the most is talking about EMC as emission and how to trace and reduce the antenne loop and limit crosstalk in order to limit radiation of the borad and I know that is nice but the board have to pass the EMC testing with emission and immunity, i have some tools that can measure the radiation level (like hyperlynx) but how can protect my board from immunity and before the EMC test? what is the steps to take to protect the PCB from immunity (i.e 3V/m)? that is my question. if i take consideration of the emission? is that mean that is ok for immunity? i don't think so. do you have any idea of some tools that considerate immunity in the simulation?
thanks again:|

Hardening the PCB against emission is rather hard, in some of the previous design the approach which I adopt was to work on the casing that protects the PCB within.

a) I suggest that you examine the frequency of the emission which you are protecting the PCB against.

b) Calculate the proper reflection and transmittance coefficient of the case to ensure that the frequency of the emission is attenuated to acceptable levels.

Just wondering would you be interested in having ppl look thru the design and provide some solutions for your application.

Hello
If we are talking about immunity you have to remember that we have following "kinds" od immunity:

- against radiated field
- against conducted disturbances (surge, transients)
- against ESD

Each of them is close related with layout and schematic of the device (transil diodes, RC and ferrite filters).
I think that first step is to find input ways for these disturbances. The second step is to find relation between these disturbances and potential failure of your design.
If you have some questions please let me know I will try to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back