Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

tek-no-logical

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
high voltage amplifier

Hello.
I need to build some strange amplifier:
input range +-10V
output +- 3kV
BW DC..few kHz
Its output should be able to sink/source current approx. of few mA.
Can anyone give me some directions on output stage?
Or maybe some useful links?

Thank you for reply.

high voltage amplifier schematics

what is the supply for this beast? Not sure if transistors can handle this voltage, even if you stack them. May be use vacuum tubes.

You will have to use transistors rated at 7 kV. One method is to use two current mirrors facing each other across the output connection. One from the + supply and one from the - supply. These mirrors are driven from variable current sources referenced to ground. This makes their input voltage range within the +-15V output capability of op amps. Then sense the output voltage through a resistor (that is rated at 7 kV) and use an inverting op amp circuit with the inputs diode clamped to the +-15V supply to protect the op amp.

Thank you.
sutapanaki said:
what is the supply for this beast?
Supply is not a problem, I'll use some multiplier or HF DC/DC transformer.
sutapanaki said:
Not sure if transistors can handle this voltage, even if you stack them. May be use vacuum tubes.
I was looking for HV transistors, and easy available are max. about 1000V.
With RF power tubes it probably can be done, but I can't use tubes:(
flatulent said:
You will have to use transistors rated at 7 kV
I'd love to use them, but were to find it?:)
flatulent said:
One method is to use two current mirrors facing each other across the output connection. One from the + supply and one from the - supply. These mirrors are driven from variable current sources referenced to ground. This makes their input voltage range within the +-15V output capability of op amps. Then sense the output voltage through a resistor (that is rated at 7 kV) and use an inverting op amp circuit with the inputs diode clamped to the +-15V supply to protect the op amp.
Thank you very much.
How about serial connected transistors rated for 1KV ( they are easy available ). Probably there will be a problem with 'dynamic voltage dividing' ( transistors will have slightly different parameters )
And one more question:
-is it ok to make supply ( DC/DC converter running at say about 1 MHz) which is tracking input signal, to provide dynamic supply (+-)?

It is possible to stack up the transistors and equalize their Vce by using the classical method of putting their bases to taps on a voltage divider.

This method goes back to the early days of transistor power audio amplifiers.

Thanks again:)
Can you, please, point me to some sites?

After saying all of the above, there are some serious safety and legal issues to face. Parts have to be special high voltage rated and the construction practices have some restrictions. If you are not supervised by someone with high voltage experience you should not risk the safety of your self and your customers. Not getting the income from the job is well worth the absence of killing yourself or your customer with the resulting legal actions.

One further thing is that the feedback resistor should be a divider reducing the 7 kV to 15 V so that there is absolutely no danger of damaging the op amp. You will have to use special test probes as well.

**broken link removed**
also try zetex and supertex companies. Zetex makes 500 V bipolars and supertex makes 500 V MOS.

You might try talking with people in the physics department at a near by university for device suggestions.

flatulent said:
Not getting the income from the job is well worth the absence of killing yourself or your customer with the resulting legal actions.
I promis not kill anyone using this amp:)

Thanks again.

Anyone have some more suggestions...?

Status
Not open for further replies.